Chapter 7

Hours have passed since the Royals and Rafiki visited. Makuu was feeling better now, at least on the outside; the inside, not so much. He cannot stop thinking about what Rafiki said before he left and why he pointed at Masika. He had an idea as to what the mandrill was hinting at, but no matter how hard he tried not to think about it, the more the notion seemed to stick out to him.

{This is absolute nonsense. How can Rafiki possibly know whether I like Masika as a friend or more than a friend? We've only known each other for a few days, and I still don't know that much about her. I mean, she's great and all, but...but...oh, I don't know! Forget about it! Rafiki is probably right. I mean, why else would I be acting so differently than normal? But even if my feelings for her do become romantic, or something like that, it doesn't really matter unless she likes me back. What am I thinking? There's no way she could have those feelings for me. After all, she considers me more like a brother than...that. Nothing more, and nothing less.}

"Hey, Makuu," Masika greeted, breaking Makuu from his over-the-top worrying.

"Oh, hi, Masika," Makuu said from his spot at the water's edge. "Something on your mind?"

"Yeah...you don't seem yourself. Is something wrong? Or are you going to tell me to back off and mind my own business?"

"Just thinking about complicated stuff. Nothing you need to worry about."

"You sure?"

"Positive, and if you don't mind, I would like to ask you something as well."

"So long as it doesn't regard my family, I'm good."

"I don't think it does. Not directly, anyway."

"Your question?"

"Why did you leave your float?"

"...I knew that question was coming, but I'm surprised it took you this long to ask me that. Well, luckily for you, I'm not that girl who usually keeps secrets, at least, not as often as other females do. Anyway, the point of the matter is that, the reason I left my float...and you might find this to be a very stupid reason, but...it's because I don't want a mate. It's okay, you can laugh, if you want. I mean, that's what everybody does whenever I tell them why I left. Trust me, when you do this every mating season, leaving home just so you don't have to have a mate, you get used to it. My float is so used to my comings and goings now that they consider it normal behavior for me."

Makuu wanted to laugh, but he didn't. He kept himself under control and cleared his throat to keep himself from laughing.

"So you left your home just so you wouldn't have to mate? It sounds a little over the top, but then again, I don't know what the crocodiles from your home are like. Mind explaining it to me?"

"Controlling. I would explain further, but all you need to know is that I value my freedom, and I'm afraid that if I was to mate with anyone, my freedom would be taken away, and I would feel weak and helpless, two things I know I am not."

Makuu wanted to say something, to make Masika feel better, but was beaten to it.

"Hello, Masika!" Talib greeted as he joined the conversing crocodiles. "I hope you don't mind, but I need to talk with Makuu in private."

"I can already tell that this conversation is going to be about me, but whatever. I don't really care. Besides, I promised to help the other crocodiles with their techniques while Makuu is currently taking a self-health break."

With nothing left to say, Masika turned around and left.

"Did we offend her or something?" Makuu asked once Masika was out of earshot.