Chapter 33

A few days later (after Nkiru's death and Nneka's resurgence) . . .

"Kiburi?"

Still asleep after another not-so-busy-yet-refreshingly-quiet night, Kiburi opened his eyes and looked up from his spot on the floor. Standing right above him was Tuma.

"What?" Kiburi mumbled.

"Mind if I have a word with you?" Tuma asked.

"Sure, I guess."

Kiburi arose to stretch before settling back in his spot. He lied on his side with his head held above ground - at about normal height when standing on all four legs - and his tail wrapped around his hind legs, while his forelegs were crossed in front of his chest.

"What's the problem, Tuma?" Kiburi asked, still bleary-eyed from being awake for only about a minute or two.

"Nneka wants you to accompany her later today," Tuma says, then continues to explain - sort of. "Remember what that crocodile mentioned at the battle? Apparently, Nneka made a deal with him, and she's supposed to fulfill her end of it today at sunset. Also, she wants you to guide her to the meeting place."

"Seriously?"

"Look, Kiburi, I have no idea why she wants no one else to go along except for you, but that is none of my business."

"Okay. Is that the only reason you're here, or do you have something else in mind?"

"Actually, there is something else, and I just want to say that if you so much as hurt Zula in any way, I will kill you myself."

"Huh? What are you..."

"I know that you and Zula have been sneaking out at night to have some 'fun' with each other, and that you have been doing so for a while now."

Kiburi was stunned into silence. He was about to explain, but Tuma cut him off first.

"Don't worry, I didn't tell anyone, and I'm not planning on doing so, either. Just remember that Zula is like a sister to me, and I would hate to see anything bad happen to her."

Kiburi stayed put, still stunned, while Tuma turned around to leave. Kiburi couldn't think of anything else to say on the subject, but he didn't have to worry about it much longer, because a question that was lingering at the back of his mind just resurfaced.

"Tuma! Wait! I forgot that I had to ask you something!" Kiburi called out.

Tuma stopped in his tracks. He sighed in aggravation, but he did turn around and went back over to Kiburi.

"You better make this fast, Kiburi," Tuma replied irritably. "I've got my sons to get back to, so you better have a damn good reason for keeping me from them."

"Don't you always spend time with them?" Kiburi asked, surprised by Tuma's excuse.

"My family doesn't concern you. Just ask your stupid question so that I can get going."

"Well there's no need for you to get your scales in a twist."

While Tuma scowled at Kiburi, the outcast cleared his throat before asking his long-held question.

"Why do you hate 'rogue borns' so much when you're one yourself?"

Tuma's scowl transformed into a look of surprise. Both crocodiles were silent for a long time.

"Is there a problem, Tuma?" Kiburi inquired. "I hope that you're not trying to think of a way to tell me off or lie to me or anything like that. Or do you really not have a good reason for judging 'our kind' the way that you do?"