Chapter 40

"I see you've found your missing crocodile."

The Guard, Makuu, and Gahiji were almost at Rafiki's tree when a familiar voice forced them to temporarily turn their attentions away from looking where they were going. It was Talib, hovering not that far away, with Kiburi and the twins just a pace behind him.

"We sure did...and I can see that you guys were just as lucky," Makuu replied, spotting the limp form of Tuma lying across Kiburi's back.

"That's an understatement," Aziza growled. "That canyon collapse was huge! It could have taken us the entire day to find any one of those crocodiles, let alone find Tuma on the first try."

"I'll bet."

Looking over the other three crocodiles, Makuu noticed that they were covered snout to tail tip and scutes to claws in dirt and dust. The twins were obviously bothered by being covered in so much filth, but Kiburi seemed like he could care less.

"You doing okay, Kiburi?" Makuu asked once the two groups joined and traveled together.

"Not in the slightest," Kiburi responded. "I just want to get this done and over with."

"You figure out how to break the news to Zula and the others yet?"

"Yeah, sure, Makuu, because it's so easy to tell someone you care about that someone who they were close to is never coming back because they're dead!"

Makuu kept his jaws shut for the rest of the trip, focusing less on trying to make Kiburi feel better and more on guiding Gahiji to Rafiki's tree, which didn't take much longer, since it was only less than half a mile away. When the Guard, the crocodiles, and Talib arrived, the only other animals there were Rafiki, Keyon, and Jaz. Makini, Zula, Adisa, and Zuberi weren't anywhere in sight.

"Alright, Gahiji, we're here," Makuu whispered.

"Oh, okay. And you're sure this healer can help me, right?" Gahiji asked. "I know that my eyesight is gone for good, but..."

"Stop being so neurotic, Gahiji. You'll be fine. If anyone knows how to help you in this case, it's Rafiki. Trust me on that."

"Okay, then. I guess I could give him a chance."

"Ah! Lion guard, and company! What are you all doing here?" Rafiki exclaimed, finally noticing the crowd of animals.

"Sorry to keep bothering you like this, Rafiki, but we were wondering if there is any way you could help Gahiji," Kion said.

"Let me see, let me see!"

The animals, all except Makuu, stepped away from Gahiji in order to give Rafiki some room to look at him. The mandrill inspected the blind crocodile and gave him a brief once-over.

"Hmm...it looks like his eyes were pecked out. Ono, I assume this wasn't your doing, was it?" Rafiki asked without looking away from Gahiji.

"Of course not!" Ono exclaimed.

"It was me, actually," Talib confessed. "I was trying to get him off of Kiburi..."

"Couldn't you have distracted me some other way?" Gahiji snapped.

"Err...sorry?"

Gahiji huffed in irritation, but he didn't say anything.

"Well?" Makuu asked. "Can you do something?"

"Unfortunately, his eyes are far too gone, but then again, you all should know that," Rafiki answered. "However, I will have to clean and apply some poultice and other remedies to prevent infection and swelling."