Chapter 36

The Pridelands was now fully dredged in a blanket of darkness. There was neither a moon nor stars or clouds in the sky, giving the night an empty, eerie aura. Everything was still and silent, and quite strangely apparent, neither nocturnal nor diurnal Pridelander was out and about.

Kiburi and Makuu arrived at the clearing only a little over an hour later, and both leaders were shocked yet unsurprised by what they saw: a completely wrecked mess of a clearing. Foliage and natural debris was scattered everywhere, along with the blood, scales, and bodies of multiple crocodiles, all of whom were covered in wounds. Some of the bodies were cocked at such strange and uncomfortable looking angles that even just giving them a quick glance was enough to send shivers up the spines of both Kiburi and Makuu.

"It's about time you guys showed up!"

The voice unmistakably belonged to Bunga. The guard was standing near the cave, but when they saw the crocodile leaders, moved over to them instead.

"Are they all dead, or are some of them still alive somehow?" Makuu asked.

The grim expressions of each guard member was enough to answer the question.

"Oh...well...maybe Tuma's not one of them," Makuu suggested, turning to look at Kiburi.

"I hope not," Kiburi sighed.

Both crocodiles took off and scanned the clearing, Kiburi patrolling one side and Makuu patrolling the other. Kiburi finished first, and much to his dismay, or even relief, none of them were Tuma.

"Well?" Kion asked.

"No luck," Kiburi answered. "I double checked and triple checked, and none of them are Tuma."

"Are you sure about that, Kiburi?" Makuu questioned as he rejoined the other animals while still looking around the clearing.

"I don't think I could possibly be more sure about anything, Makuu. Why?"

"Well, if that's the case, then we have a bit of a problem because I've looked over this part of the clearing two or three times already, and unless I'm going blind or something, I don't see his body anywhere."

"Are you certain about that? I mean, he has to be here, right?"

"Kiburi, I couldn't possibly be more certain about something in my entire life."

"If here's not here and dead..."

"Then he's most likely alive and somewhere else."

"But if he's still alive, then where did he go?" Bunga piped in.

"And why did he leave?" Beshte asked.

"Did you seriously just say that?" Fuli questioned.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but the hippo has a point," Makuu pointed out, which surprised everyone, because they all knew how much Makuu hated hippos.

"Care to explain?" Kiburi inquired.

"Think of it this way: why would Tuma leave if he was fighting to defend his family, the ones that he cares about the most?"

"That's a good point. I know Tuma, and he isn't one for running away from fights, especially when his loved ones are in danger."

{Unless...}

Suddenly, a thought popped into Kiburi's head, one he didn't like one bit. Instead of telling the others what he was thinking, Kiburi turned and raced off towards the gorge.

"Kiburi, where are you going?" Kion called.

"I have a hunch about where Tuma might be, and I'm not stopping until I get there," Kiburi answered, refusing to slow down.

"Do you want us to come with you?"

"Absolutely not! The whole lot of you will just get in my way!"

{Besides, if I do happen to be wrong, I'm not going to have you pesky brats breathing down my neck about it.}

"Well, at least let Makuu tag along with you, just in case you run into something that you can't handle by yourself."

This finally made Kiburi stop in his tracks and turn around. The lion guard and Makuu were staring at him, probably expecting him to say no, or, on the definite off-chance, yes.

"Ugh, fine!" Kiburi growled. "Makuu can come, but I better not see or hear the rest of you following us."

"You got it, Kiburi!" Kion responded. "Good luck, guys, and watch your backs!"

Now, the lion guard and the crocodile leaders headed in the opposite directions.

"If I'm thinking what I think you're thinking, do you honestly think that the gorge will lead us to wherever Tuma is?" Makuu whispered, not wanting the still nearby guard to hear.

"Honestly, I have absolutely no idea," Kiburi replied. "I'm just hoping that we get lucky or something."

"That's certainly reassuring."

"Whatever you'd like to think, Makuu."