Chapter 13

{New crocodiles in the Pridelands? This can either be very good or very bad. At least Kion and Makuu let us off easy this time.}

Kiburi's thoughts were swirling with the possibility of new allies, or new enemies. However, he had to put them at the back of his mind for the time being, since he needed to get the float back to the cave without anyone noticing them. If someone found out about their hideout and told the lion guard, then they would be screwed, not to mention the fact that they'll have to wait till the rainy season in order to even come close to taking over Makuu's float.

"Kiburi?"

The leader turned his head around to look at Tamka, who was walking not too far behind him.

"Do you think that these new crocodiles could be trouble for us?"

"If those newcomers are going to cause any trouble, then let the Pridelanders deal with them," Kiburi replied, remembering overhearing Kion and Makuu talking about the threat that these new crocodiles possibly pose to the Pridelands when he and his float left.

{Those new crocs nearly got us in trouble, but at least they will be the Guard's problem and not ours.}

About an hour later, the exiled float finally made it back to their current home, but as they entered the clearing, a strange sensation overcame Kiburi, and it troubled him. With his tail, Kiburi signaled his float to halt so that he could have perfect silence.

"Is there something wrong, Kiburi?" Nduli asked.

"I don't know, but stay here and keep quiet. I'll be right back," Kiburi ordered.

The float obeyed their leader.

Kiburi stalked over to the cave and stopped at the entrance. It took a minute, but he did recognize the unmistakable shape of a crocodile hiding in the shadows. A low, warning growl escaped from his throat.

"You do realize that I can hear you, right?"

{A female? What in the world is one doing here?}

"I don't know who you are or what gives you the right to trespass on my territory, but I suggest that you get out of here, now!" Kiburi snapped.

"Typical males, always forcing us females to do their bidding and expecting us to do so without a single objection. From what I can recall, this is Pridelanders territory, not Outlanders territory."

"How...how do you know that?"

Kiburi was shocked that this unknown female knew he was an Outlander secretly living in the Pridelands. He watched the female lift herself to her feet and walk over to the entrance. Kiburi backed away as the stranger approached.

The female stepped into the light, and Kiburi couldn't believe what he was seeing. Despite her slightly smaller size, Kiburi had no doubts that she was an adult, and one that was even older than him, too. Her streamlined body was covered in light green scales and pale scars, and her piercing golden eyes shone brightly in the sunlight.

"I wouldn't underestimate me just based on my looks," the newcomer said, snapping Kiburi out of his trance. "I may be small, even for an adult female, but I didn't get these scars and become leader of my float by being weak and helpless. Don't look too surprised, Kiburi."

"How do you know my name?" Kiburi asked.

"Why are males such simple-minded creatures? Let's just say I have valuable resources that I rely on once in a while."

"What resources?"

"That's for me to know and you to hopefully never find out. Oh, and I should let you know right now that I'm not leaving until I take care of what I came here to do."