Chapter 8

The clearing had turned dead silent. No one said a word. Makuu just stood there in shock, his gaze switching between Masika and Zaire.

{Her brother is here? Why? There's no way he could have known that Masika was here! That is, unless he was following her the entire time. Why did he never show himself before now? And how in the Pridelands did no one notice him? Someone must have seen him sneaking around or something.}

Makuu shook his head to get rid of his thoughts. He would worry about it later, but right now he had to get Zaire off of Kiburi so that he and his float could head back to the Outlands.

"I don't mean to interrupt this unexpected family reunion or anything, but do you mind getting off of Kiburi so that he and his float can go back to where they belong?" Makuu asked.

He knew that Zaire was Masika's brother, but Makuu couldn't bear himself to get any closer. He kept his distance, for he was wary and suspicious of Zaire.

{I can't put my claw on it, but there's just something "off" about him. Something I don't like.}

"Why should I?" Zaire snarled. "He was going to attack you when you are currently unable to fight, not to mention the fact that he threatened my sister, and I don't take threats made on my family lightly."

"I didn't know she was your sister!" Kiburi choked out. "If you let me up, I promise to take my float and leave. Just get off of me!"

"Yeah right!" Zaire scoffed. "I've dealt with your kind before. You'll say anything, do anything, just to save your own scales. In fact, I don't think you care about anyone other than yourself."

"Zaire, that's enough!" Masika snapped. "I'm sure he's learned his lesson for the day. Just let him go."

Zaire hesitated for a moment, but he succumbed to his sister's order and released Kiburi from his grasp. As soon as Zaire was off of him, Kiburi rolled onto his stomach and heaved himself to his feet, all the while struggling to catch his breath. Makuu felt bitterness swell-up in his scales as he watched Kiburi's float approach their leader to make sure that he was alright. Makuu felt like lashing out at the traitors, but due to the present situation, decided to push aside his anger.

"You're lucky that my sister was here, Kiburi, or else you wouldn't be standing right now," Zaire said in a threatening voice. "And let me just tell you right now that the next time you threaten my sister, or go anywhere near her, I will kill you. Now, I suggest you get out of here before I change my mind. Do I make myself clear?"

"Crystal," Kiburi rasped. "Float, let's get out of here."

Kiburi signaled for his float to follow him, and as they were leaving, slipped Makuu a hate-filled glare.

{What was that for? I didn't even do anything to him this time around! He must blame me for this defeat as well, even though I had absolutely nothing to do with any of this.}

Once Kiburi's float disappeared from sight, Makuu limped over to his float to make sure that they were all okay, which they were, and in turn, made him feel absolutely relieved. Makuu felt something jump onto his back, and when he twisted his head around to see what it was, he noticed that it was just Hodari.

"Hey there, Hodari. You need something?" Makuu asked.

"Just wanted to get a closer look," Hodari responded. "It's hard to see from all the way back there, even if I was in a tree."

Makuu chuckled, then turned his attention towards Masika and Zaire. After all this time apart, the leader wondered what the siblings had to say to each other, but there was nothing but silence for a long, long time.