Chapter 17

Currently at Makuu's watering hole... 

As the sun rose above the horizon, its rays brightened the savanna and surrounding areas. The warmth from the sun heated the scales of the crocodiles that became refreshingly cool during the night.

Feeling the sun warm him, Makuu slowly awoke from a well deserved rest. The crocodile leader opened his eyes and looked around to make sure that everything was well in order, and it was...

Until Makuu heard the unmistakable sound of bickering, courtesy of none other than Masika and Zaire, who were arguing with each other by the water's edge.

{Again? Really?! This is the third time in the past five days that they've been at this! Honestly, can't they just give it a break?}

Makuu growled in frustration as he made his way over to the siblings, hoping to break up another fight before it gets out of control. Once he reached the siblings, he could clearly hear what they were arguing about, and he wasn't at all surprised by the subject matter.

"Stop being so overprotective, Zaire, and just tell me what happened!" Masika pleaded. "Do you know how many problems we can avoid if you just tell us what happened?"

"How many times do I have to tell you that I took care of it? You don't need to worry about anything anymore, so stop pestering me!" Zaire snapped.

"We will stop pestering you as soon as you tell us exactly what happened," Makuu interjected.

When the siblings turned to face him, Makuu couldn't help but look at the scars that now marked Zaire's snout for the rest of his life.

"Are you going to keep staring at my scars or what?" Zaire questioned.

When Makuu realized what he was doing, he shook his head to snap out of it.

"Sorry, Zaire, but it is kind of hard not to stare when your scars are this noticeable," Makuu confessed.

"Eh, I'm sure I'll get used to it, but that's beside the point. I'm still not telling you what happened because it doesn't matter anymore."

"Oh, come on!" Masika yelled. "For once, Zaire, can you stop being..."

"Stop being what? Myself? Why should I do so when you haven't changed a bit? You might want to take some of your own advice, Masika!"

"Shut up!" Makuu snapped, shoving himself between Masika and Zaire. "Enough, both of you! The two of you are driving me insane! Masika, I need you to calm down, and Zaire, I don't care whether you like it or not, but one way or another, you are going to tell us the truth. Now, the next time I see you two arguing like this, I will make sure it is the last time. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Makuu," the siblings answered simultaneously.

"Good. Now, I need to do something that might take me most of the day, so I hope that I can trust the two of you to keep an eye on things while I'm gone and not kill each other in the process."

Masika and Zaire were taken aback. They looked at Makuu and each other with shocked expressions.

"You want us to watch over your float?" Zaire inquired, sounding skeptical. Makuu, however, could clearly see the glint of excitement in Zaire's eyes. "Where are you heading off to, if you don't mind me asking?"

"It's nothing too special, so don't worry about it," Makuu reassured.

{At least, that's as far as you two should be concerned.}

***

"I can't believe how well you managed that little mishap with Masika and Zaire," Talib exclaimed. "I didn't think you would be able to pull it off. Uh, no offense."