Chapter 20

A couple days later... 

Despite his eyes still being closed, Kiburi could tell that it was midday due to the hot rays of sunshine that he felt burning his scales. He quietly grumbled in his sleep and blinked open his eyes. Once awake, Kiburi stretched his limbs before slipping into the cold, saving graces of the cave's river.

While floating in the water, Kiburi looked over at Makuu to see that he was still asleep. Kiburi snorted in amusement.

{I guess my knocking him upside the head was enough to keep him out of it for the time being.}

"Good morning, Kiburi," a familiar voice greeted.

"Huh? Keyon? What are you doing here?" Kiburi asked.

"Just thought I would check in."

"Why?"

"Because I wanted to. Anyway, you seem sort of surprised or shocked or whatever to see me. Is there anything on your mind that you would like to talk about?"

"No."

"Are you sure? Because if you're thinking of a way to escape..."

"Yeah right! As if I could with you lot around."

"Fair point. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that my sister is back to her normal self and she's very much looking forward to meeting you."

"Excuse me?"

"I'm guessing you're not ready to meet her yet."

"Why does she want to meet me? Did you tell her about me or something?"

"I didn't really have much of a choice! Zula doesn't stop bugging someone until they tell her what she wants to know, and for some reason she really wants to know about you."

"Sounds like a real pain in the tail end, if you ask me."

"She can be, sometimes, but she really is a great gal. If you give her a chance, I really think that you will like her."

"Okay, fine, whatever. But first things first, what did you tell her about me?"

"Well..."

Keyon didn't have the chance to finish his sentence before something headbutted him straight into Kiburi, sending both males underwater. When Kiburi and Keyon resurfaced and recovered from the surprise, they heard what sounded like a young female laughing at them. Both males looked up and spotted a young female crocodile standing at the entrance. She had blue-tinted light green scales and a mottled snout, but what really drew Kiburi's attention was the female's eyes, which were light blue in coloration. As far as he knew, only a select few crocodiles had blue eyes, if any at all.

Kiburi was so focused on the female that he was nearly startled out of his scales when Keyon shouted right next to him.

"Zula! How many times have I told you to never do that when I'm talking to someone?"

"Sorry, brother, but I couldn't help it!" Zula chuckled. "You do have to admit that I got you good this time. You weren't even expecting it, which made it all the better!"

"Yeah, I know. Good job, sis. You're getting better, that's for sure. Just promise me..."

Keyon didn't get to finish because Zula turned away from him to look at Kiburi, and immediately she dove in to get a closer look.

"Hi there! You must be Kiburi. You're Kiburi, right?" Zula barraged.

"Yes, that's Kiburi," Keyon quickly replied. "Now, do you mind backing off a bit and giving us some room before you two get acquainted with each other?"