Chapter 28

A few hours and multiple arguments later . . .

"Ah! We're finally out of there!" Kiburi exclaimed when he exited the tunnel.

The group was now at the edge of the jungle. On one side - opposite of the treeline - was savanna, while on the other side - off to the right - was a dirt cliff covered in underbrush that made its way through the jungle as far as the eye can see.

{I wonder if this cliff is in any way a part of the gorge that Zula and I stumbled upon? Of course, there's only one way to find out, and that's to follow it.}

Little did he know, Aziza and Azizi were arguing with each other regarding the same subject matter: finding the best route to take to go get help.

"I think walking across the savanna, which has absolutely no coverage, mind you, is a terrible idea," Aziza snapped. "We'd be much better off traversing through the jungle because there is absolutely no way that anyone can spot us in there."

"Not unless you make a lot of noise, which is something that will always happen in the jungle," Azizi argued. "Besides, all of the vegetation will just slow you down, unlike walking around the savanna where you don't have any obstacles to worry about."

"It's true that we can go across the savanna faster, but that's only if we don't get spotted and attacked first. That's why the jungle is the way to go. Not to mention the fact that the majority of the float is resting out on the savanna at night, which means that there is a higher chance of us getting caught or killed."

"Don't you realize that most of them are also spending time in the jungle as well? If they happen to spot us and pick a fight, there isn't enough room for us to fight back and defend ourselves, and that way we will surely be cornered. Should I even bother mentioning that we are running out of time and need to find help fast? We need speed this time around, not stealth! Therefore, we are going on the savanna!"

"No! We are most certainly not! We are going through the jungle!"

"Savanna!"

"Jungle!"

"Both of you, just shut up!" Makuu snapped, but he wasn't helping the situation at all.

While the other three crocodiles continued to argue, Kiburi took it upon himself to check out his hunch. He climbed a sloping path on the cliff side to the top, a definite higher point of the jungle, wanting to confirm his suspicions and make sure that this was part of the gorge. He was pleased with himself when he looked down a different underbrush covered slope and saw a small river separating two beaches from each other all the way at the bottom.

{Yes! This is the same gorge! Ha! I love when I'm right! Now, do we follow it from up here or...}

"Watcha looking at, Kiburi?"

The question startled Kiburi, nearly causing him to lose his footing and fall over the edge, but luckily caught himself before doing so. Once he recovered, he turned around to see Makuu and the twins trying yet failing to stifle their laughter over the close-call.

"Sorry, Kiburi," Aziza apologized, still wearing a big smirk on her face. "Didn't mean to scare ya and nearly send you over the edge."

"I wasn't scared!" Kiburi snapped defensively.  "Just merely startled is all."

"Debatable."

Kiburi wasn't amused, but he didn't bother arguing with Aziza.

"Whatever, let's just get moving," Kiburi ordered.

"Wait, do you even know where you're going?" Makuu asked.

"Of course I do!"

"Are you sure?"