- 32 -

~ the next week ~

John's POV

Things had, oddly enough, been pretty normal. No over-the-top stress. Yet... none of the trio. Things felt like the normal before they had started chasing after us again. But they had disappeared. We went from seeing at least one of them out and about to none of them at all. They were just... gone.

As far as I knew, (Y/N) was still out with Bowie on a walk. I had gone out to pick up some things and was on my way back to our house.

Manhattan streets seemed hectic today. Not that it wasn't most of the time; just, more so than usual.

I was only a couple blocks away from home, about to turn a corner. Hitting the gas petal, I looked out the passenger window to make sure nobody else decided to move.

Hearing my phone start to buzz, I glanced down out of the corner of my eye. (Y/N). I'd have to call her back later.

"Hey príncipe, it's (Y/N). I just figured you had got home already. I'll be back soon. I love—"

In the split second I had looked toward the other window though, that was when I heard the crash.

Your POV

Bowie and I were starting to head home from Central Park. I figured John had probably just arrived home, or at least was almost there.

I pulled out my phone, unlocking it and going to John's contact.

Unusually, the phone kept ringing.

'Hey, it's John Laurens! Sorry I ain't at the phone right now, but I'll get back to ya as soon as I can!'

That was definitely unusual. Sure, the phone rang a couple times, but I couldn't remember the last time I had heard John's voicemail. I left a message regardless. "Hey príncipe, it's (Y/N). I just figured you had got home already. I'll be home soon. I love you."

Barely even a few seconds after my message sent, I heard a resounding crash a couple blocks down. Bowie nearly jumped out of his collar. I picked him up, hurrying to the park and exit and towards where the crash sounded like it came from.

After about two or three blocks, I found a large sea of people, a police car, and two damaged cars- one worse than the other.

My heart practically dropped when I saw a silver car. 'That's just like John's car...'

Holding a whining Bowie more securely, I ran closer to the crowd of people. "Officers?! Officers!"

One of the officers turned, facing me as I approached.

"W-What happened?" I questioned worriedly.

"From what eye witnesses were saying, ma'am, the driver in the red car was saying something to his passenger and not being one-hundred percent focused. They hit the driver of the silver car, who was rather focused and honestly couldn't have avoided it due to the corner."

"Does anyone know what they look like?"

The officer pointed to a raven-haired woman a few yards away. "She was one of the close witnesses. I'd ask her."

I nodded. "Thank you so much, Officer."

"Of course, ma'am."

I paused a moment before approaching the young woman. She appeared to be a waitress from one of the local food places, as a name tag with the name 'Rose' on it was on her shirt. tapping her shoulder. She looked towards me. "Yes?"

"Do you happen to know what the people in the cars looked like? The officer over there said you would," I spoke hesitantly.

She thought a moment. "I do!"

"Would you be able to tell me?" I asked hopefully.

'Rose' nodded. "Well, all three men had dark hair. The driver of the red car appeared to have darker skin and curly hair, while the silver car's driver had shorter brown hair and tan skin."

"D-Did his hair still look somewhat curly?"

"Umm... I think so? It was hard to get a great look."

My eyes widened and she looked at me, worried. "Is everything alright, miss?"

I shook my head. "M-My husband looks like the man you described in the silver car... that looked just like his car too."

Her light eyes widened as well. "They took the three to the nearest medical center just to be sure no one was injured. I can drive you there if you'd like."

I looked at her, surprised. "You would?"

"Yes! Follow me!"

Rose motioned away from the crowd towards a blue car. I followed her to the car, getting in the passenger's seat.

"Are you sure you don't mind taking a stranger?" I asked.

She nodded, holding out her hand. "Rose Wilkins. We're not strangers if we've met already."

I couldn't help but smile, shaking her hand. "(Y/N) Laurens."

Rose seemed to recognize the last name, but she didn't say anything, only turning to the wheel and pulling out of the lot she was in. "To the medical center.."