- 51 -

holy sh*t this book is alive w H a T -- ?

i'm so sorry i haven't updated this book in months lmao i've just lacked the will to update my hamilton books since i'm starting to drift from the fandom. but we're givin it another shot so it's good to be bAcK i missed y'all here

Your POV

The more minutes that ticked by, the more anxious I became. 'He should've been outside by now. Where is he..?'

Ten minutes passed.

Fifteen minutes passed.

By the time I swore it had been about twenty minutes, I gave in on sitting and waiting in the car. John didn't want me in there, but I was going in there; he'd taken too many hits already.

I got out of the car, opening the back door and unbuckling Frances (no way in hell was I leaving her there). Keeping her close, I started my way back to the complex entrance.

I stuck close to the shadows, praying if any of the trio came out, they didn't see me. Suddenly, I saw three very familiar figures through the glass of the main doors, slinking back completely into the shadows and as close to the building as I could get.

The trio walked out, muttering things amongst themselves that I couldn't hear. But I saw them looking around- they must've been looking for John's car. And suddenly the moment presented itself.

When I knew I was in the clear (or at least hoped), I hurried over to the main doors, slipping inside and quickly going to the stairs.

Upon getting to their door, it was luckily unlocked. Opening the door, I shut it behind me and locked it. But there was a fear that the locked door still wouldn't buy me time. So setting Frances down, I glanced at the mini bookcase by the door. It was my best chance.

It took a bit, but I managed to push the bookcase in front of the door.

"M-Mama?"

I turned, looking over to Frances, who was looking up at me curiously. I crouched down, picking her back up before walking farther into the dark apartment. "Don't worry, sunshine. Mama's just trying to give her and Dada some extra time.."

Looking down the narrow hallway, the bedroom door was slightly ajar, dim light peeking through the crack. My heart rate started to pick up; if John was anywhere, he was there.

I was hesitant to walk down the hall, holding Frances a little closer to me as I did so. One of her little hands reached up to toy with my hair, and I simply let her, trying to let her actions calm me down.

Arriving just outside of the door, I paused. Taking a breath, I pushed the door open. And suddenly, my rapid heartbeat practically stopped, my breath catching in my throat as I choked back a cry.

John was in the room, but he was laying in a way that clearly said he was unconscious. His chest was hardly rising or falling, yet that was hardly even the worst part.

Bruises were littered across his skin, the darkest ones residing on his cheek and jaw. There was a small trickle of blood down his mouth and jaw. His wrists had angry red grip rings around them.

The sight made my stomach lurch, and I subconsciously held Frances tighter, my hand moving to the back of her head so she wouldn't turn it. "O-Oh my G-od..--"

Dropping to my knees in front of him, I reluctantly moved my hand from Frances's head to fumble for my phone. But when she went to turn it, I put my hand back. "D-Don't look, sunshine, okay? Don't l-look.."

Luckily, when I removed my hand again, she didn't move her head again, and I managed to pull out my phone. I nearly dropped my phone from my hand shaking, but dialed 911.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"M-My husband--!"

~

I had heard the trio trying to open their front door for the past couple minutes, praying they wouldn't manage to get in. If they did, they could easily get past the bedroom door, and then what? What would happen to Frances and me? To John?

Suddenly, I heard the scraping of something, and my heart dropped. That was the bookshelf I had put in front of the door. I could barely make out their voices, but I could immediately tell they weren't happy.

I heard their footsteps start to get closer, holding Frances closer when she started whimpering. "Shh.. i-it's okay, Fran. It's okay.."

I started bouncing her lightly, still making sure she didn't look behind her. The footsteps were still getting louder, and I could only pray for the best.

"NYPD! Put your hands up!"

I had never felt such relief. There was a rise of voices, and a knocking at the locked bedroom door. I stood up after a moment, hurrying over to the door and opening it. 

Looking past the police officer, I saw each of the trio getting handcuffed, looking away and focusing back on the officer directly in front of me when I accidentally met Hercules's narrowed eyes.

"Mrs. Laurens? Are you and your baby okay, ma'am?" the officer asked.

"We're.. a little shaken up, I think. But otherwise, we're unharmed," I answered. "I- It's just- my husband-"

As if on cue, we had to step to the side to allow paramedics to pass by.

"He's going to get treated as soon as possible, ma'am; don't worry," the officer continued. "Can I take you to the station, though? We'll need you to answer some questions about those men and this whole situation."

I nodded. "Of-Of course! Anything to help out, Officer."

He sent me a small smile in return. "Thank you, ma'am. If you could follow me.."

I had no idea what to expect from the next day or even week. But the trio was going to get a swift kick in the *ss if I could help it.