Chapter 3: Truth

A few days passed and both Jerome and you were dealing with moving into Gotham. With the money that both of you saved over the years, you were able to buy a small apartment. You were walking through the streets, trying to find a job. As you walked, you accidentally bumped into some girl. She looked a few years younger than you and was wearing black leather clothing. "Watch it, would ya?" She said.

"I'm so sorry". You said as she walked right past you. You looked back down at the newspaper that you were holding and continued your job hunting.

It took hours, but you eventually found a place that hired you. You walked into the apartment only to see Jerome getting ready to leave. "Where are you going?"

"The GCPD just called, I think they finally caught the man who murdered my mother". He put on his coat.

"That's great! I'll come with". You smiled. By the look of his face, you knew that he didn't want to bring you but he knew better to not to argue with you. So the two of you made your way to the GCPD.

"Wait here". He said as an officer lead him to one of the investigation rooms. You pulled him into one more kiss before letting him go. "Good luck".

As you waited, you noticed an older man staring at you. His black hair was slicked back and was wearing glasses and a lab coat. Noticing that he was still staring at you, you sighed and walked over to him. Just by his stare from earlier, you knew that he's the oddball in the precinct. "May I help you, mister ?"

"Nygma. Edward Nygma". He smiled. "And you must be (y/n) (l/n), the snake dancer's apprentice and that ginger boy's girlfriend, correct?"

"Uh, yeah". You were kinda creeped out by him, but the circus was filled with a lot of oddballs like him so he didn't bother you so much. "Why were staring at me?"

"I can sizzle like bacon, I am made with an egg, I have plenty of backbone but lack a good leg I peel layers like onions, but still remain whole. I can be long, like a flagpole, yet fit in a hole. What am I?" He grinned.

"A snake". You raised a brow. You have no idea where this conversation is going.

"You see, I'm curious". He began. "You're a snake dancer, but you're not really dancing with a snake more like you're charming it. So shouldn't you be called a snake charmer?"

"You haven't seen a snake dance before, huh?" You smirked. "Like a snake, one must be graceful, innocent but deadly, but most of all one must be mysterious. The snake is your partner, so you also have to earn its trust otherwise you're dead meat".

Before Edward could respond, you heard Jim Gordon call your name. You turned to the detective as him and doctor Leslie Thompkins walked toward you. You gave them a small smile. "So did you find the man who killed Jerome's mother?"

They glanced at each other before looking at you again. Jim placed a hand on your shoulder and made you sit down on a chair. He sat down at his desk. "(y/n), how long have you known Jerome?"

"Since I was ten". You looked at him, confused. "He was my first friend. Why?"

Their silence worried you. Jim took in a deep breath. "Has Jerome ever expressed....odd behavior? You know, was he ever hostile toward you or anyone else?"

"He's a bit rough in bed if that's what you're asking". You let out an awkward laugh. The look of Jim's face when he interrogated Jerome - when you first met - flashed in your mind. Jerome had mentioned how he thinks sex is a healthy and natural human activity while placing a hand on your thigh. You could tell that Jim felt awkward about hearing that from someone younger than him.

"You know that's not what I'm asking you". Jim said. You looked at him, then at doctor Thompkins. Staring back at the detective, you took a deep breath.

"There will be times when he'll threaten guys for staring at me". You admitted. "But that's just natural overprotected boyfriend stuff. In case you forgot, I am a snake dancer".

They shared another glance. You couldn't help but feel a pit in your stomach. Why is he asking about Jerome? Did he or did he not catch Lilia's killer? The silence was killing you. You stood up. "What's going on? Where's Jerome? Who's Lilia's killer?"

"(y/n), calm down". Doctor Thompkins placed her hands around your shoulder.

"Don't tell me to calm down!" You glared. "Where's my boyfriend?"

"Look (y/n)" You turned to Jim. "It's clear that you had no idea about what happened, and there's no easy way to say this but.... Jerome killed Lilia".

"What?" You furrowed your brows. "That's impossible, Jerome wouldn't kill anyone. He - He told me that he loved his mother. There's got to be some mistake".

"He already confessed". Jim sat on his desk as you fell back into your seat. "Do you remember Pal Cicero, the fortune teller at the circus? He's... Jerome's father. He helped him with killing Lilia".

You shook your head. "No... You're wrong. There's -"

"Do you really think Jerome wouldn't be capable of doing such a thing?" Doctor Thompkins knelt down in front of you. "Think back - really back - to any time where Jerome showed any odd behavior that would make you believe that he would harm someone"

"Jerome Velaska!" You glared at your best friend. He was beating up a nice boy that you just met. His knuckles were covered in the boy's blood and if it wasn't for you pulling him away, he would still be punching the boy. You stood in between them. Staring at the boy behind you, you gasped at the damage to the boy's face. The boy's friends went over to him to help. "What is wrong with you?!"

"He -" Jerome stared at your face. He felt his heart fall to his stomach. You looked at him with such a disgusted face. He stared at his hands. Blood. "I... I don't know. I'm sorry".

He ran. "Jerome!" You called after him.

The door to your trailer opened. You looked up and saw Jerome storm inside and crash on your couch. "I swear one day I'm going to kill that woman"

"Oh god" You brought your hands to your face and cried. "He really did kill her".