Chapter 16: Grief

The entire walk to your apartment was spent thinking about your life. You had walked into a convenience store, grabbing a bottle of alcohol, paying for it with the necklace that Alfred bought you to match your dress. You didn't exchange any words with the cashier, you just dropped the piece of jewelry on the counter then left.

While you chugged down the bottle, you thought about the circus. Your friends Mary and John. Lilia, Haly, and the rest of the crew treating you as if you were their daughter. Playing and cuddling with the animals. Hanging out with Jeremiah before he ran away, leaving you confused as to why. Meeting Jerome and falling in love with him.

Your awkward first date. The cute and bashful first kiss the two of you shared. The way he was gentle with you the first time the two of you slept together. The way he came to you after receiving beatings from Lilia and her lovers. His hands softly caressing you after a nightmare. His loving gaze as he watched you dance. His charming smile and contagious laugh. You remember the feeling of him leaning closer to your hands as you traced his freckles. You remember the feeling him kissing the palms of your hands, causing you to laugh. The way he danced with you around the bond fire.

His soft kisses. His arms wrapping around your waist as if to protect you from the whole world. The way it felt when he touches your sides, causing you to lean on to him. His soft voice telling you that he loves you. His everything.

Tears fell as you reached your apartment. You stood in the room where you placed Jerome's stuff. You didn't bother turning on any of the lights. You remained in the darkroom, remembering Xander and Taylor roaming around the room, trying to understand your relationship with the redhead. Their dead bodies falling to the ground.

You fell to your knees, wailing at this point. How could you have let this happen? How could you have continued to stay in Gotham? You could've left with the circus. You could have never met Xander and Taylor. They could've stayed alive. You could've moved on. Witness John and Mary's wedding. Meet their first child. Stayed with Shiba and continued being Haly's Circus' charming snake dancer. You could've met someone else and fallen in love, could've married someone new. You could've given birth to their children and live old with them 'till you die.

But instead, you stayed. You continued to let Jerome into your mind. You continued to stay with him. You continued to love him.

The sound of a hiss grabbed your attention. Turning around, you spotted Shiba. She moved toward you. At first, you thought it was a hallucination, but the moment you felt her scaly skin, you realized she was real. Your eyes widen as you stared at the slithering creature. Getting up, you grabbed Shiba and ran out of the apartment. They're here.

Just as you ran down the steps, you felt something pierce your shoulder blade then your chest. You could only hear a sharp piercing noise as you placed your hand on your chest, only to see blood. You fell to the ground. Shiba slithered her way out from under you, wrapping her body around you. Your vision began to go blurry.

So this is it, huh? You thought. This is how I'm leaving this world.

Right when you thought this was the end, you saw through your blurry vision and noticed someone open their apartment door. With the last of your strength, you moved your hand to reach out to them, calling for help.

Then you fell unconscious. The last feeling you ever felt was that of Shiba's warmth.