Chapter 4: Goodbye

The door to the interrogation room opened. Both detective Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock followed you inside. Jerome sat at the table, handcuffed. He smiled at the sight of you. "Why if it isn't my beautiful doll~ Tell me babe, why the entourage?"

"We're here to make sure you wouldn't try to hurt her". Harvey explained.

"I would never hurt my beloved". Jerome grinned. His eyes never left yours. You sat down across from him. Your eyes were red and puffy from crying. He pouted. "Oh, who made my kitten cry?"

"Stop with the nicknames". You closed your eyes. There's no way did you want to cry for him. You took a deep breath and stared at him. He looked so relaxed and at ease. You shook your head. "Why? Why'd you do it?"

"You know how she was". He began to explain. "Always nagging me while she was fucking. To be honest, I wasn't planning to do it but then she just had to say she was retiring. And I thought 'well if my own mother is no longer needed on the show and my beautiful girlfriend is taking her spot, what's the use of having her around?'"

He let out a laugh, but it wasn't the laugh that you loved. It was a psychotic type of laughter. A tear fell from your eye. "You killed her that morning, huh? When we reached Gotham. When we went on a date to celebrate our anniversary. That's why you wanted me to go ahead.... You were going to kill her".

Jerome stopped laughing and stared at you. "Why are you even upset? She was always filling your head with all that 'seduction' talk. She never really approved of us. But now we can be happy - after I get out of Arkham of course".

"Do you really think I would stay with you?" More tears started to fall. "Lilia was like a mother to me. Sure she wasn't the best person in the world, but she and the rest of the circus took me in when no one else wanted me. She may have looked like she didn't approve our relationship, but you never noticed the look in her eyes. She was happy that we had each other. She was happy that her own son found someone..... and yet you killed her. You killed your own mother, Jerome."

"What are you trying to say, doll?" Jerome began to glare.

"I'm saying that I'm not going to wait for you, J" You wiped your tears. "Don't expect to me to jump into your arms if you ever got out of Arkham - and I pray that you don't. I'm saying that I'm breaking up with you, Jerome. Goodbye".

You got up and began to walk toward the door. Jerome called after you. "You're making a mistake. Don't go, (y/n). Come back! (Y/N)!"

"Are you going to be okay?" You turned to the detectives. They offered to drive you home and you felt too tired to argue with them. Glancing up at your apartment building, you sighed.

"We got that place together". You turned to them. "I guess I'm going to be busy for the next couple of months to pay off rent".

"I'm sorry it had turned out like this". Jim placed his hands in his pockets. You shook your head.

"Don't bother. I'm sure it was bound to happen some way or another". You smiled at them. "Thank you for solving Lilia's case".

"You sure you don't want to go back to the circus?" Harvey asked you. You shook your head.

"Going back... it'll just be a reminder of Jerome". You explained. "I want to move on from that part of my life".

"That's good to hear". Jim patted your shoulder. "Take care, (y/n)".

"You too, detective". You smiled. They got in their car and drove off. You let out a deep breath. Time to move on. Just like that day.