Chapter 5: Moving On

After the circus left, you fully moved into the apartment. It was sad saying goodbye to your friends and family at the circus, but you told yourself it was the right thing to do. They knew how much you had bonded with Shiba so they gave you her as a farewell present. You were also sad that you wouldn't be there for Mary's and John's wedding, but you told them that you'll send them something.

"Alright, Shiba". You sat down in front of Shiba's cage. You had a pen and a notepad in your hand. "Let's set some ground rules, shall we?"

Rule no. 1: Get rid of Jerome's things

You stared down at your necklace. It was a gift from Jerome for your birthday. It had a charm with the letter 'J' along with a heart. "Maybe not this one... at least not yet".

Rule no. 2: Don't mention Jerome

You let out a deep sigh. Staring out the window, you couldn't help but think back to before you went to the circus. How you never once mention your parents or uncle. It was just the way you coped with moving on. You never mention them so you would have no regrets in the future.

Rule no. 3: Find another job and save up for college

"At least that's a good thing that came out of this". You slightly smiled at Shiba. She just hissed. "Of course that doesn't mean I would stop hanging out with you".

Finally, rule no. 4: Don't ever visit Jerome

Your smile turned into a frown. No matter how much you're going to miss him, no matter how much you're going to want to see him, no matter how much you wish that he wasn't an insane murder, you promised yourself you wouldn't visit Jerome. You want nothing to do with him. You want to forget about him. That's why you're making these rules. "It'll be just like with uncle". You mumbled.

Shiba hissed. You stared at her. "That's a different story for a different time".

You got up and ripped the note from its pad. You placed it on the refrigerator. You then went around the apartment, looking for anything of Jerome's belongings. You separated them from yours and put them all in the spare room. "I'll figure out what to do with these later".

"I swear to god, (y/n)!" You turned your co-worker and friend Taylor. She stormed into your apartment and fell on the couch. "Why did I ever let you talk me into online dating?"

"Because you were tired of being lonely". You placed Shiba's food into her cage. "Was the girl not your type?"

"No, she's perfect!" Taylor sighed. "I just made a fool of myself".

"I'm sure she thought you were adorable". You smiled and sat on the couch, placing her legs on your lap. She stared at you and sat up.

"So, what's going on with you and my brother?" She raised a brow. A smirk formed on her lips. "I heard from him that you're going on a date with him Friday night".

You rolled your eyes. "We're just going to hang out as friends. You know I'm not ready to date".

"Yeah, yeah, you had a bad breakup with your last boyfriend". She waved her hand. "But you never tell me why? You never even bring him up! How the hell am I suppose to know if you moved on or not?!"

"Trust me," You stood up and went to get some coffee. "all you need to know is that I'm not going to see him ever again".

"Is that why you still wear that necklace?" She followed you. "Because that totally shows that you moved on".

You stared down at the golden gift. It's been about a month since the incident. You kept telling yourself to leave the necklace in the spare room - which has been locked away so Taylor wouldn't snoop around. But a part of you kept coming back and putting it on. And you hated that part.

"You know what, you're right". You handed her a cup of coffee. "Tell your brother that it's a date".

"I think you should tell that hon". She smiled. "But no pda in front of me - oh and no sex when I'm home".

You rolled your eyes and laughed. The two of you settled back down on the couch and watched t.v. The sound of Gotham comforted you as you zoned out. It's time to fully move on. You thought. You set your cup down and took off your necklace. Goodbye forever, Jerome.