Chapter 27: Visits

You should have known Edward would escape from Baraba's grasp. She's the type of woman who would pretend to be your friend only to backstab you the next day. Most people are like that in Gotham. So, you took matters in your hands. Edward doesn't have anywhere to go except for Oswald's place. You had decided to pay him a visit.

Returning home from just killing another one of Gotham's most intellectuals, Ed had walked into the living room. He paused once he saw you sitting down, an anaconda on the couch, a giant python on the floor. Sage and Jade rested on your lap while you held Shiba in your arms, stroking her. You didn't glance his way.

"Hello, Nygma". You turned to him, smiling. "Watch your step. Veil doesn't like it when people don't see her"

"(y/n)" Ed continued to stand where he was. He knew that Baraba hadn't killed you, but he wished she had. He never liked you from the moment you stepped foot in this household. You watched as the man took a deep breath. "I didn't think you'd be here".

"Well, since now I'm a Cobblepot, this place is mine". You gestured toward the house. "After all, Oswald is dead"

Edward watched you stand up, glancing at the snakes as they began to slowly slither toward him. Their low hisses put him on edge. You stopped when you stood right in front of him, a pocket knife in your hand. Waving the knife around, you pointed it directly at his heart. You smirked.

"You know, Ed" You began. "I've been thinking over the past few days and I've decided, I'm not going to kill you".

"You're not". The man sounded confused as you retracted the knife from his chest.

"No". You continued to smirk, taking a step back. "You see, Ed, I believe in 'An eye for an eye', 'a life for a life', 'a loved one for a loved one'".

You grabbed the taller man's tie, making him look at you in your eye level, eyes shining yellow, glaring at him. You watched as bits of fear rose within him as you held the knife to his throat. A chuckle escaped your lips when you finally remembered him from Indian Hill.

"One day, Ed" Your glare hardens. "You will fall in love again. But unlike the last two times, you or Oswald are not going to be one to kill your partner. Instead, it would be me. And when that day comes, you are going to remember that you killed your best friend, your mentor, and by doing so, you sent a death sentence to your partner's life".

The snakes hissed and snapped their mouths at him. You let go of him, putting your knife back inside your pocket. Patting his shoulder, you made your way out of the home. "In the meantime, take care of the place. See you around, Nygma"

A few weeks go by and you continued to read about one of Gotham's intellectuals die on the news. The children looked happier as they helped around the place. The workers and guards continued to remain loyal to you even after Oswald's fall. You were in your office, doing paperwork as always. Shiba was out with the other snakes tonight, leaving you alone. A sudden memory of Jerome popped into your mind.

It was a memory of him placing a necklace around your neck. The feeling of his fingers brushing against your skin sent shivers down your spine. His breath was so close to your ear. His arms wrapping around your waist once he was done. He placed a small peck on your bare shoulder. Your breath hitched once the memory ended.

"What went wrong?" You whispered to no one. Checking the clock, you saw that it was getting late. Are you seriously thinking about this? You have to be insane for wanting to pay Jerome a visit. But he remembers the memories you don't. He knows you more than you know yourself. He has the answers to the questions you've been dying to know. Fuck it. Picking up the phone, you dialed the head of Arkham Asylum.