Chapter 33: Close Call

A little girl laughed as she ran around the small playhouse in the backyard. Looking back at her home, she grinned at her parents. Her father rushed to her, smiling, and began to chase her. He took hold of her and swung her around. Their laughter sounded like a soft symphony to your ears. The afternoon sun shone brightly on their ginger hair.

The beautiful scene began to vanish. The little girl's laughter still resonated around you. You were in complete darkness. A young ginger man stood before you, a large grin scattered on his lips. "My, doll, you're growing beautiful every day"

You stared at Jerome in silence. The little girl from before appeared once again. She stood next to your ex-boyfriend. Jerome held her hand. Her ginger hair braided to relax on her left shoulder. Her (e/c) colored eyes reflected your own, quickly shining a bright yellow. She has patches of green snake scales on her skin like yours. She smiled at you.

"Isn't mommy lovely, sweetheart?" Jerome looked at the little girl.

"Mommy!" The little girl let go of Jerome's hand and rushed to hug you. The moment you felt her hands wrapped around your legs, you felt a tear slip down your cheek. You pulled the girl off of you and looked up at Jerome.

The red-haired boy was now holding a baby boy in his arms. You took a step back as Jerome began to pull the girl back to his side. The three of them smiled at you. "What's the matter, (y/n)? Don't you want to hold your children?"

Shaking your head, tears falling down your cheeks, you began to run away from the three of them. The little girl called out to you as Jerome laughed. "Mommy! Where are you going?!"

You stopped when you saw older versions of the girl and the boy. The girl was now a teenager and the boy was just a few years younger than her. Their hands were covered in blood, along with the knives they're holding. The boy smiled at you. "Mommy, why are you running?"

You woke up in bed, sweat covering your brow. Letting out a deep breath, you sat up. The snakes hissed beside you. Good morning. Shiba slithered onto your lap. You gave her a small smile and stroked her scales. Getting up from the bed, you began to get ready for another day in your safe house.

It's been a week since you last had a dream of Jerome. You haven't seen any hallucination of him since then. The snakes continue to tell you everything that is going on in Gotham. From the police killer Pyg to Martin, Oswald's newfound friend. They also suggest that you should go outside for a bit, but you refused. You look weak, (y/n). You glanced at Jade. Go outside for a bit.

"I don't want to risk myself getting noticed" You muttered as you went to the bathroom to wash your face. Once you looked at your reflection in the mirror, you jumped at the sight of Jerome. You blinked and the illusion was gone. Sighing, you went into the kitchen.

As you made your cup of coffee, you heard your cell phone ring. Seeing the caller id, you picked it up. "Ozzie, it's good to hear from you"

"(y/n), I need a favor from you" The man spoke quickly. He sounded worried.

"Anything you need" You grabbed your cup and went to sit in the living room.

"I would like it if you can take care of certain little boy" Oswald began to explain. "His name is Martin. He doesn't talk so he won't bother you in any way. It's difficult to explain but -"

"It's fine, Oswald" You smiled sadly. "I'd be happy to meet him. Send someone to take him to Markos' and he'll bring him to me"

"Thank you, (y/n)" You hung up the phone and turned to the snakes. "We're going to have a guest"