Chapter 35: Time

It's been four weeks since Jerome proposed to you. You hadn't said yes to him, but you didn't say no to him either. You had told him to give you time to think. It was a shock that he agreed with you, but he let you hold onto the ring. You stare at the piece of jewelry every night before you go to sleep. You had always thought that when Jerome proposes to you, the two of you would be at the circus or have gone to live somewhere else. You never thought it would be in a mental asylum. You also never thought of Jerome to be a lunatic that enjoys killing people. The last thing Jerome said to you rang through your mind.

"I'm not saying, no" You stroked Jerome's cheek, kissing him. "I'm... just asking for some time. Please."

"Okay," Jerome stroked a strand of your hair behind your ear. His hand slowly moved to caress your cheek. "Just know that I love you. I'll always love you"

His lips slowly met yours. With such a simple gesture, you knew that the ginger boy has you wrapped around his finger. Hell, he's the only boy you've ever been with. You can't bear to part with him anymore.

"That's..." You stared at Trish. She was giving you your final check-up. You were finally strong enough to move about and use your powers. You were healed. The snakes lowly hissed. Get this over with so we can go home. Sage hissed.

"What's wrong?" You noticed how Trish looked at her clipboard. She was just checking your recent blood tests. Was there something wrong? Is your blood now venomous instead of being an antidote? If so, you would have to do some experiments when you get home. The way Trish's skin turned pale out of shock scared you just a tad bit.

"Well," She coughed before staring at you, regaining her composure. "Congratulations, (y/n). You're going to be a mother"

The glass of water you were holding slipped away from your grip, shattering and scaring the strawberry blonde nurse. The guards had come in to make sure everything was alright. The snakes were looking at you, frozen in shock. Your eyes widen as you continued to stare at your friend.

It was late in the night when you were leaving the Arkham. Markos had come to pick you up and was waiting just outside. The guards were taking your luggage to the car while you went to bid your goodbye to Oswald. As you were walking to his cell, you stopped at the sound of a group of people cheering. You made your way toward the noise, shocked to see the sight before you.

Oswald, who was bleeding from his cheek and nose, was beating up Jerome. The group turned quiet as the former mob boss kicked their leader. "Try laughing now, you ginger sap!" Oswald yelled. "Yes!"

"See? I told you I'd cure you!" Jerome laughed, grabbing the Penguin's attention again.

"Don't flatter yourself!" Oswald glared as Jerome sat up.

"One more" The redhead begged. Oswald didn't hesitate to kick him, making the boy you love bleed even more.

"What is going on here?!" You grabbed everyone's attention. Jerome continued to laugh as you walked toward them. You ignored him and went to check up at your brother first.

"(y/n)..." Oswald's eyes widen slightly as you placed your hands on either side of his face to get a better look at his injuries.

"Ozzie, what did they do to you?" You turned to Jerome as he got up, glaring. "I told you to leave him alone"

"You told me not to kill him, and I didn't" The redhead corrected you. "Penguin, here, was moping around ever since he came here and I just wanted to help him get out of his slump"

"And that involves harming him?" You crossed your arms over your chest. Jerome smirked as he saw you wearing the engagement ring. It was a symbol that you belonged to him. The fact that you're wearing it gives him the idea that you're going to accept his proposal.

"Oh, come on, dollface" He stroked your arms, taking your hands into his. "Don't be like. We were just getting along"

Oswald and the rest watched as he kissed your hands. Your adoptive brother noticed the ring on your wedding finger. Sighing, you pulled your hands away and turned to Oswald. You wrapped and arm around his and the two of you began to leave the room. You glanced back at Jerome. "Come, Ozzie. I have something to tell you in private"

"Be safe out there, darling" You heard Jerome.

"(y/n)" Oswald spoke when the two of you were finally alone. The two of you were walking back to Oswald's cell "Where did you get that ring? Did that freak proposed to you?"

"Yes, and before you even ask, I haven't given him an answer yet" You fiddled with the ring. "But that's not what I wanted to talk to you about"

"What is it?" Oswald stood in front of you. You couldn't look at him in the eye. Instead, you looked at the ground as your hands went to caress your stomach.

"I'm... pregnant" You looked at him through your eyelashes. It took him a moment to register what you had just said. Once it did, his eyes widen in fear. You continued to speak before he could shout. "Jerome doesn't know and I don't want him to - at least not yet. I... I want to figure out my answer to his proposal first"

"But (y/n), this is... this is crazy" Oswald looked at you in shock. "You're too young to have a child and this is - wait. You slept with Jerome?!"

"Ozzie, please" You shushed him.

"You don't plan on keeping it, do you?" He lowered his voice.

"Of course I do" You hugged your womb in defense. "Look, I know Jerome is a maniac but that doesn't mean this child would be like him. I know J. I know what caused him to turn out this way, and I'm going to make sure this baby wouldn't experience the same torture as he did"

Oswald sighed, shaking his head. "God, (y/n)"

"Oswald, I didn't just come out to see you so I can tell you this" You took hold of the man's hand. He noticed your serious expression. "I'm fully recovered now and that means that I'm leaving. Don't worry. I'll make sure to get you out. I promise"

The two of you shared a hug before you had to leave. Oswald watched as you left the hallway of his cell. His mind wandered to the news you had just given him. You're pregnant with Jerome's child and he proposed to you. Does the crazy psychopath have some humanity in him? That sounds unbelievable. But then his mind wandered to the letter Ed left him. He grinned as he remembered what the letter entitled.