Chapter 36: Meeting with the Queens

Stepping out of the car, you looked at the building before you. Welcome home. You heard snakes hiss as you walked inside. Both customers and employees looked at you. Markos was the first to come up to you. "Welcome home, Serpentine"

"Are... Are you going to be staying this time?" The boy Jerome's goons held hostage walked up to you.

"For as long as I can" You smiled. He returned the gesture as the other children ran to hug you. You laughed and told the customers that their drinks are on the house. Everyone cheered at your return.

"Since our establishment is in the Narrows, we have been working with the Doc" Markos spoke while you looked over the papers in your office.

"Yes, I heard Lee Thompkins is this so-called 'Doc' of the Narrows" You didn't look up from the paperwork. People love her. Coatl hissed. They call her the queen of the Narrows. Veil made her way around your desk.

"The queen of the Narrows?" You repeated, arching a brow.

"Ah. That's right, but -"

"It's okay, Markos" You stood up to serve yourself a cup of tea. "Gotham has a way to give people titles. Oswald is the Penguin. Sofia Falcone is the new queen of Gotham. Doctor Lee Thompkins is the queen of the Narrows. Bruce Wayne is the prince of Gotham, and I... I'm Serpentine, the queen of snakes and the princess of Gotham"

You turned to Markos. "Get me a meeting with the Doc."

"Right away, miss" Markos bowed and went his way. The snakes hissed. What of the fortune that the cards warned you about? Are you going to kill the Doc? What of Sofia Falcone? Let's kill her. You ignored their comments and continued to work.

The following day, you met with the former M.E. of the GCPD. She sat across from you at your desk. Two bodyguards stood behind her. You were quite surprised to see the new gothic look she changed into, but you liked it. Markos served the two of you cups of tea.

"I heard that you were back." Lee took a sip of her drink. "You've changed since I last saw you"

"And so have you" You placed the drink down on its coster. "Queen of the Narrows"

"Does that offend you?" She leaned back.

"No." You smiled. "I'm fine with my titles."

"Then why invite me?" She tilted her head to the side.

"Because you run this place now." You leaned in, hands intertwining. The emerald ring shone underneath the lights. The piece of jewelry did not go unnoticed by the doctor. But she knew better than to ask about something unrelated to the topic at hand. "I just want to greet my new boss"

"I'm not your boss" Lee's eyes met yours.

"There's no need to be on guard with me, doctor" You smiled. "We both want the same thing. We want to make the Narrows safer for the people who live here, for their children. That's why I made this place both a shelter and workplace for street kids. Let's forget our titles and become partners"

Lee stared at your outstretched hand. You noticed the hesitant look on her face. If the moment had dragged longer than it did, you would have given up. Thankfully, the doctor took your hand. With a firm handshake, the two of you made a deal. Both of you would stay out of each other's way while helping make the Narrows stronger and better for its residents.

That night, after Lee and her guards left, your office doors opened and you saw Sofia Falcone staring down at you. Placing your pen down on the desk, you got up and smiled at her. "Sofia Falcone, what can I help you with this time?"