Chapter 15: Sanity

The gala was going so smoothly. People were enjoying their time with one another, donating money to the hospital, talking about whatever topic they wanted, enjoying food, and feeling overall accomplished with their work. So what went wrong?

One minute, they were enjoying a magic show. Bruce got called up to volunteer. Alfred getting worried when Bruce was chopped in half and put back together. Everyone was enjoying the magician and his show. They were fond of his boyish charm.

Boyish charm. Why didn't you notice it before when you talked to him? Why was it until he said that no one was going to leave here alive when you finally noticed it? Why did it take until Barbara accidentally unmasked herself and Jerome threw the dagger at the deputy mayor's heart that you reacted?

The whole room went into chaos after that. Servers locked the exits, pulling out their guns and began to shoot anyone who tried to escape. Bruce ran off to who knows where. Alfred was being held at gunpoint. Dr. Lee had been taken as a hostage and tied to the wheel. It was when you tried to escape among the chaos where you were taken to the stage as well. One of the servers pull out a camera and began to film as other servers held you tight. Jerome took off his disguise and took Dr. Lee's phone.

He dialed Jim Gordon, asking for a ransom. "You got ten minutes or I start killing people. Remember, this is being broadcast to every home in Gotham, so you know, don't let people die"

Jerome laughed into the phone, getting closer to the camera, then hanging up and turning around with a calm composure. "I think that went well".

"Enough" You heard Galavan's voice from the audience. Eyes widening as he came closer to Jerome. Getting the sense that the two planned this from the very beginning, you felt your heart drop to your stomach. Both fear and anger resonated through you as you watched Galavan and Jerome speak. The fact that they chose a fundraiser for the children's hospital to pull a skit to make Galavan look good fueled your body with anger. The fact that Jerome agreed scared you. You wanted to have children with him and he does this sort of thing. You didn't know what to feel anymore.

You wanted to shout out their plan. You wanted to reveal the truth, not caring that they might kill you in the end. But you couldn't find the voice to do so. You thought the fear was stopping you, but as you looked at Jerome, you slowly realized the true reason. You finally understood why he decided to show his true colors to you after all these years. As you saw Barbara hit Galavan with a hammer, you found your voice once again.

"Jerome" You fought back against the servers' grasp. "Jerome, please look at me. This isn't you. I know it. Look at me, J"

The redhead didn't pay any attention to you. You continued to struggle against the hold until you were free. You ran in front of Jerome, cupping his face in your hands. Tears forming in your eyes. People stared at you, suspense filling the air.

"J, please look at me". You continued to plead, forcing a small smile. "I know that you're mad about what I said on the phone, but listen to me, please. I get it now. I didn't before, but now I do. Lilia, your father, those bastards that your mom called lovers, and everyone else that came into your life treated you terribly. But you always knew that you could find safety and comfort in me. I'm your happy place. And I know that you're mine too."

"So when you finally couldn't take it no more, you left all of your sanity with me. You left it so you can show everyone the potential you have. But this isn't the way to do it". You removed your hands from his cheeks to hold onto his own hands. You held them close to your chest, tears falling down your cheeks. "We could still have a life together like we imagined, Jerome. We could still be happy. Just don't hurt these people. Please... J... I still love you"