Chapter 7: Welcome Back

"Oh, honey! I'm home!" Jerome yelled, his arms wide open, expecting for you to hug him. He smiled that creepy smile from his mugshot. He stared at you, then looked around the room. "And I see that we still have some unpacking to do!"

"Jerome". You mumbled. You knew he was coming after you, but you didn't think he'll be here that fast.

"Ya know, doll". Jerome slid his finger across one of the boxes with his stuff inside. He looked at the dust on his finger. "While I was in Arkham, I couldn't stop thinking about you. I couldn't stop thinking about if you were with some other guy or if you were drinking yourself away missing me".

He stared at you, then at your friends. "But seeing these two here makes me think of the first option".

"Jerome". You repeated. He laughed.

"Are you that shocked to see me?!" He turned and walked toward your friends. He placed his arm around Xander's shoulder. "Tell me, (y/n), what's your relationship with this one? And don't lie to me".

"He's my friend". You finally said something other than his name. Jerome smiled. He knew you were going to say that, whether or not it was the truth. He walked toward you. His grin grew when you didn't back away. "How did you get out?"

"Oh, that's another story for another time". He circled around you, eyeing you up and down. "I see the good 'ol circus gave you Shiba".

The said snake hissed and stared at the ginger male. Jerome's smile never left his face as he stroked his mother's old partner. "Ya know, she was the only lover that dear old mommy could ever seem to hold onto".

You fought the urge to slap him for even mentioning Lilia. He had no right to call her mother when he - her own son - killed her. Jerome then stared at you. He raised his hand and stroked your cheek. You didn't flinch or even tried to move. It looked as if you were frozen in fear, but Jerome knew you better. You weren't afraid of him. You knew that he wouldn't hurt you, but he would hurt your friends. That was what you were afraid of. You let out a small gasp as his other hand began to wrap around your waist.

"Tell me, love, did you miss me?" His voice was just above from a whisper.

"Yes". You took no time to hesitate to answer him. It was no lie either. You did miss him. The first couple of days after he was sent to the asylum, you drank every alcoholic drink you can get your hands on. You forced yourself to smile and laugh around others, but when you were alone you broke down and cried for Jerome. And you hated yourself for doing so. You never felt such heartbreak ever in your life.

Jerome smiled. He rubbed your sides as he stroked your hair with his other hand. He knew that you loved his gentle touches. You basically melted into his arms whenever he did so. "Did you let anyone touch your pretty little lips?" His thumb traced your lips as he asked the question.

"No". You whispered.

"Were you a loyal kitten while I was gone?" His voice was getting deeper. "You didn't become a stray now, did you? You waited for me just like I wanted? You took back your words from that day and continued to love me?"

This time you didn't reply. A single tear fell from your eye, making Jerome wipe it away with his thumb. Your silence made him angry, and you knew it. His smile turned into a frown, and his loving gaze transformed itself to a glare. He wanted to wrap his hand around your neck but with Shiba already occupying the same spot, he just gripped your jaw. Your eyes widen a bit before going back to their normal state. "Answer me!"

Shiba hissed and almost bit Jerome. Luckily for him, he moved away from you just in time. The female snake opened her mouth and continued to hiss at the man. Jerome didn't bother to look at his mother's snake and kept his gaze on you. "Tabs, would you please?"

The lady walked toward you. Shiba threatens to bite her as well but the woman dodged. She grabbed the snake by the sides of her mouth and removed her from your neck. You protested. "Shiba!"

"You'll get her back if you answer me!" Jerome stood in between you two. You stared at him. "Now, do you or do you not still love me?"

"She doesn't!" Taylor yelled, grabbing both of your attention. "She thinks your an insane, psychotic, maniac! She doesn't want anything to do with you. Why do you think she has the two of us here and contacted the GCPD as a backup? Because she wants nothing more than to see you rot in that cell of yours!"

Jerome let out a laugh. You closed your eyes, your heart breaking with every chuckle he lets out. Jerome turned and walked toward Taylor. "I see you don't really know my precious doll that well".

"Jerome -"

"Shush". He glanced at you. He had pulled out a knife and had it against Taylor's neck. She looked frightened. He turned back to her. "You see, (y/n) here, has a precious secret. A secret that she wouldn't even tell me. Can you believe that? But the thing about me is, I notice every little tiny detail about her. And (y/n), she never - and I mean never - mentions her past. I wonder why? She doesn't talk about her parents or even her time in foster care. She just moves on as if that part of her life never existed. I'm sure you noticed it because I bet that she never once mentioned my name during the time you've known her. But here we are! Two worlds in one room!"

"Jerome, please". You begged. "Please don't harm them. They're my friends. I'm the one you want. I'm the one you came here for!"

"True, but you still haven't answered my question". Jerome grinned. "And your precious bestie's answer doesn't count. I want to hear it from you. So I'm going to ask you one last time, or else male bestie over there goes first".

The guy who held Xander shoved him to his knees. Xander looked up at you with calm eyes. But you knew that was just an act. On the inside, Xander was just as terrified as you and Taylor. The guy pointed his gun behind Xander's head. You looked at Jerome. He grinned. "So, do you still love me?"

"Tell him the truth, (y/n)" Xander said, grabbing your attention once more. Jerome stared at him then at you. "Whatever happens, it's okay. I'll be fine".

You gulped. Glancing over at Taylor, you noticed how tears began to fall from her eyes. Both of these innocent people decided to be your friends and now they're in the whole mess of a situation. And you had no idea what to do. You wanted to scream and tell Jerome to just leave you alone, but you knew that wouldn't happen. Not as long as Jerome is alive, he'll always come back to you. And he thinks you would always come back to him. But would you?

You let out a deep breath and formed tight fists. You stared straight into Jerome's eyes.

"I told you not to expect me to jump into your arms that day". You began. "I told you that I would never go back to you. I told you that I wasn't going to stay with you. I told you that I was breaking up with you. But what I didn't tell you, was that I was going to stop loving you. Because I can't do that. I still love you, Jerome. I never stopped loving you. But you're not the same Jerome that I fell in love with.... You're not my J...."

You began to cry. Jerome stared at you. He retracted the knife from Taylor's neck and walked up to you. He grabbed your chin, forcing you to stare at him. He placed his lips on yours and you didn't bother to fight it. Instead, you kissed him back. He wrapped his arms around your waist as you placed your hands on his chest. He deepened the kiss and licked your lips. You opened your mouth and his tongue swirled around your own.

His hands caressed your sides and you pressed yourself more into him. He left your mouth and placed small kisses all over your face. He wiped your tears away with those kisses. He kissed your nose before finally looking at you. His forehead on your own. The look in his eyes reminded you of the first time he kissed you. They were soft and comforting. He wrapped one arm around your waist while the other held your head against his chest, stroking your hair. Just like how he comforts you after a nightmare. Tears began to fall once again and you wrapped your arms around him. You nuzzled your head into his neck and cried. "I'm still the same J, (y/n)".

Without even realizing it, you fell in love with him all over again.