Chapter 28: On Your Mind

A week had passed. Ivy and Oswald had already gathered Fries and Pike and returned home. During that time, you continued to see Jerome at Arkham. You asked him more about the circus, and he answered everything with so much detail. He told you his own experience, his first impression of you, your relationships with everyone, your role in the circus, he even spoke about his brother. You would laugh when he told you some funny memories. When he spoke, he didn't sound like the insane Jerome you know of. He sounded like a different person. Like a sane person. The moment you asked if you ever mentioned your parents or uncle, Jerome laughed.

"You never once talked about them". He leaned his head back, grinning. As he spoke, he made gestures with his hands. After talking and visiting him so many times now, you had told the guards to uncuff him. You trust that Jerome wouldn't cause you any harm. "Whenever you have any of these traumatic experiences, you stay quiet about it. You pretend like that part of your life never happened - and to be honest, I'm shocked that you're still coming here".

"I should be closing you off" You smirked, taking a sip of your cup of water. Sage and Jade were on the floor, snapping at each other. They were bickering because Sage didn't want Jade to come. Shiba was acting as moderator. Jerome glanced at the reptiles. "Jade's going to be a mom soon. Sage thinks that she should be at home, but Jade doesn't agree with him".

"Well ain't that nature's joy" Jerome looked at you. You were smiling at your snakes, feeling happy for them. Jerome smirked, remembering something he hasn't told you.

"You know, doll" You turned to Jerome. He got up and began to walk around you. "On our first anniversary, I got you this golden necklace. It had the letter J and a -"

"A heart" He turned to you, grinning.

"Do you still have it?" He moved his chair around, sitting down. You shook his head. His grin fell. Waving his hand, he continued. "Anyway. That night, after having sex for the first time, we spoke about our future"

You tilted your head, eyebrows raised. "I didn't take you for a family man"

"I'm not". He got up again, walking behind you. He placed his hands on your shoulders and began giving you a message. "But, that night - that night was something".

The redhead sat down on the table. He stroked your hair, your cheek, your chin, his thumb traced along your lips. You noticed the look in his eyes. They didn't have the crazy murderous desire they usually had. They looked as if they were gazing at something distant. You find it to be quite sad.

"We pictured this life together, outside the circus." Jerome continued. "We planned on running a family business - I didn't really care but you chose a reptile shop, just like your uncle. We'd settled on two kids, a girl and a boy, but if we wanted we could have more. The kids will come home from school, do their homework, play with the animals. I would tuck them into bed as you sang them a lullaby. You'd teach them how to dance and sing, I'd teach them how to toughen up. We'll see them off to college. I'll walk our daughter down the aisle at her wedding. You'll embarrass both of them during your wedding speech. We'll spoil the grandkids and grow old together. Then we'll be buried together when we die".

"Doesn't sound like you" You shake your head at the thought. He laughed, getting off the table and walking back to his seat.

"I know, but the thought just came to me" He leaned in, head on his palms, still grinning. "It wouldn't be that bad to have a family with you. We could see this city destroy itself as a family. Don't think that would be beautiful?"

"Absolutely not". You smiled, crossing your arms. Jerome's grin didn't falter one bit. He knew it sounded crazy to you, he just wants to plant the idea in your head. "You killed your parents. What's going to stop you from killing your own children?"