Chapter 4

A/N: So I don't get any comments about it later, this is a fictional book, meaning, everything is fictional, made up, pretend, fake, not real. So, things about Canada, will not all be accurate. Like, for instance, Cote Enterprise, it is a fictional company in a fictional Canada. Now, with that said, enjoy. :)

The steam of the shower feels good on my tired body. Working at the club for seven hours takes a lot out of me every time. Of course, only getting five hours of sleep also affects how tired my body is. But, that's the annoying thing about my body, I can't seem to sleep past seven in the morning. No matter how late I stayed up or how exhausted I am.

Once, I had this horrible cold. My nose was as red as Rudolph's nose, it kept dripping disgustingly, I had this wretched cough with this yellow crap coming up every time, my throat felt as if it were on fire and the only thing that would soothe it was hot tea. Like, scalding hot tea. My head even felt woozy and I was in a constant cold sweat and was running a high fever. All I needed was a good sleep, but no, my body would not allow such a luxury. So, I suffered for three days straight, the only things keeping me alive was the hot tea and creamy soup I ate.

I shake my head as I turn off the water. I place a hand on the wet wall and take a moment to just breathe. I really just want to sleep, but that seems impossible as it would only lead to me laying in bed trying to force something that will never come. Perhaps sleeping pills would work, but then I don't want to rely on them and get hooked.

I shake my head again, water droplets spraying the wall. Then, I step out and dry my face with my towel, my arms and chest next. Then, I wrap the towel around my waist and grab my toothbrush. The mirror is fogged up so I place my hand on it to wipe a clean spot so I can see my face.

My blonde hair looks brown now that it is soaking wet and dripping down my back, shoulders, and chest. My blue eyes stare back at me, a little bloodshot from the lack of proper sleep. I wonder if I'll ever get a decent night's sleep. Ever since my mom died, I haven't been able to get the recommended six to eight hours. It was one of the reasons I started drinking as a teenager, to try and forget in order to sleep. It never worked, though, I always remembered and I still woke up from the nightmares in less than five hours.

I angrily growl at my reflection. I look like her, I look so much like her, it's the main reason my dad treats me the way he does. It's like, he blames me for looking like her, so he's mean to me. No, he doesn't abuse me, well, physically anyway. He's just a drunken bastard now. He's nothing like he was when mom was still alive.

I close my eyes to get away from my reflection that reminds me so much of a mother I hardly knew. Then, I grab my toothpaste and get to work at cleaning my teeth. No need to screw up my teeth when God knows I have no money to go to the dentist to fix them.

Once my teeth are clean I move to my closet, only all my clothes are dirty and overflowing my hamper. I groan annoyed at myself. I meant to do the laundry the other day, I swear I did, except, I kept putting it off saying I still had something clean to wear.

I roll my eyes at myself as I shove the falling clothes back into the overflowing hamper, then I pick it up and trudge out of my room. As things start to fall out, I kick them in front of me so I don't have to backtrack to pick up a trail of garments. All the way down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Niles," I hear my father say.

I jump nearly ten feet in the air, the clothes spilling out of the hamper even more. I gasp for air as my heart beats dangerously fast.

"Holy shit," I say under my breath. "Dad, you're supposed to be at work," I gulp as I try to get my bearings back and under my control.

"Well, I was," He starts as I fumble around to pick up the scattered clothes. "I was just walking out the door when I met your friend,"