Chapter 31

The ropes that had me secured to the old wooden chair were gone, scattered on the floor and forgotten. The wolves that transformed into human right in front of my eyes were toying with me. I was being pushed around, tossed, and dragged between the five of them.

Their hands would grip my skin too tightly, causing my skin to bruise wherever they touched. They had claws that would scratch and cut my skin. They were playing with me and it was the most physical pain I had ever been in before.

As they used me for their own personal rag doll I had lost track of time. I had blacked out too many times to count. All I knew was that I was going to die by the hands of monsters. I was going to die and I was only seventeen!

Every inch of my body was bruised, there was to much blood to determine how many cuts I had. Nothing was fatal, that much I knew. It was like my tormentors wanted to keep me alive for something else. Something even more horrifying than watching wolves turn into humans and beat the shit out of me.

And something more horrifying did happen. That's when Ridge burst in and literally tore the other wolves' apart limb from limb. I was more afraid of him than the wolves who used me to play with. I shouldn't have been scared of him, deep down I knew he was the good guy in the situation I found myself in, but I couldn't stomp down the fear.

Something shakes me out of the nightmare. "Niles," The shaking stops for a moment as hands caress my face. It's a good feeling and I almost fall back asleep. "Niles, please, wake up,"

I'd know that voice anywhere, apparently even in my nightmare hazed brain.

"Niles, please, baby, wake up," He says. "Please, I have you, you are safe,"

I force my unwilling eyes open. The room is still dark and it takes me a few seconds to remember where I am. That's also the moment I realize I am panting with a cold sweat covering my body. Great, now Leandre has seen me in a way I never wanted him to. Just great.

"Niles?" Leandre asks, his voice riddled with concern. "Niles, are you with me?"

My arm is heavy as lead as I attempt to lift it to wipe the sweat off my upper lip. Great, now he's worried about me. I shake my head to clear it, trying to rid myself of the monstrous Rouges that kidnapped me such a long time ago. It doesn't seem to matter how many years ago it was, I still get the nightmares.

"Y-Yeah," My voice croaks. "I'm o-okay now,"

He takes a deep breath, his chest rising against my back. That's when I realize I'm in his arms, my back pressed against his chest with one of his arms wrapped tightly around me while his other cradles the back of my head. Oh God does this feel good.

"Niles," He whimpers into my neck as he bows his head. "I was so worried," This side of him, this vulnerable side of him, is something I didn't know he possessed. And yet I find it so enduring.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you,"

He shakes his head. "You we're having a nightmare, weren't you?" He says in almost a whisper.

I gulp and nod my head. "I get the same one quite often," I admit.

"The same one?"

"Yeah, from when I was kidnapped," I thought it was going to be hard telling him that, but I find it actually very easy to tell him. It's not something I like to talk about and yet Leandre always seems to get it out of me with only one question.

His arm tightens around me as he inhales deeply. "You were terrified,"

I blink a few times in the dark. "Was I?" I felt terrified in my nightmare, but how would he know that?

"Yes," He answers. "When your emotions are high I can feel them. You were terrified, Niles,"

"Wait, you can feel my emotions?" I ask shocked. How long has he been able to do that?

"Yes, if they are strong enough I can feel them,"

"Since when?"

"Since I first met you. It is how I knew you needed help when your— when your father attacked you," He says with hesitance.

Great. "Don't you think that would have been something I should have known?"

He shrugs his shoulders so nonchalantly. "No changing the subject, Niles,"

I sigh and rest my head against his shoulder more comfortably. I don't even know what time it is. For all I know I could have woken Leandre up only an hour after we went to bed. I already feel horrible from my nightmare, but now I feel horrible for waking him up. Good going, Niles. Really, good job. Bravo, idiot.

"How often is often?" He asks in a small voice. Like if he speaks too loudly it will scare me off or something.

How often? "A couple of times a month,"

His hold on me tightens once more. "And it is about the Rogue wolves who kidnapped you?"

"Yes," I mutter exhausted. "It doesn't seem to matter how long ago it was. It doesn't matter that I know all of them are dead now, every last one of them, because I still fear that they'll come back for me. I was a plaything for them and they loved it," A shiver wracks my body at the thoughts. "I know it's stupid and irrational but my brain won't think otherwise,"

"It is not stupid, Niles," Leandre says before loosening his hold on me and managing to turn me around so I straddle his lap and face him even though it's still dark and I can't see him clearly. "You were traumatized, something like that does not just go away so easily,"

"It's been years, Leandre,"

"And? You will most likely have these nightmares for many more years to come still,"

"Wow, thanks, that makes me feel so much better," I say with dripping sarcasm.

"I am sorry, I was only speaking what I believe to be true," He says before pressing his forehead to mine. "I am here for you, Niles. Every time a nightmare hits I will be there to help you through it,"

"Thanks," I whisper as I soak in his calming presence. I really do love when he presses his forehead against mine. It is so intimate and yet it's not at the same time.

"I am here for you, Niles, always," He whispers.

Just those few words have my entire body relaxing and my mind slowing down. Here he is again promising me the whole world and he doesn't even realize it.