Chapter 33

Leandre led me to the bathroom where he pulled out two unopened packages of toothbrushes and a small unopened tube of travel size toothpaste. The bathroom is fully stocked for any guest Charlotte may have. She even has little travel size shampoos, conditioners, and lotions just like a hotel would have. That woman sure is prepared.

After freshening up we headed downstairs to find Charlotte sweeping the kitchen floor while Amelia sat at the table with a MacBook in front of her. Leandre nods his head to the table so I obey and take a seat awkwardly.

"Good afternoon," Charlotte greets as she dumps her dustpan in the trash and then puts her supplies away in a closet next to the pantry.

"Afternoon," I reply shyly. After spending the night with Leandre in her house I feel very uncomfortable. Even if nothing sexual happened, I still feel embarrassed for some reason.

"Good afternoon," Leandre greets her.

"We had grilled cheese for lunch, I can make you some if you'd like," Charlotte says as she washes her hands in the sink.

"That is alright, Charlotte, I can do it," Leandre says as he pulls out a tub of butter and a block of cheese. "You just relax now,"

Charlotte gives him a warm smile before she takes a seat across from me. "Niles, how are you feeling this morning?"

"I'm fine," I answer in a small voice.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes?" Why did that come out as a question?

"Charlotte, leave him alone, he does not want to talk about it with you," Leandre warns her.

Charlotte pouts as my face flames hotly. So she knew I had a nightmare too? Great. Does that mean Amelia and Malik knew as well? Speaking of Malik.

"Where's Malik?" I ask.

"He left after breakfast," Charlotte answers as she runs her finger in circles atop the wooden table. "He figured Leandre was going to sleep in so he left to do some work,"

At least I don't have to see his expression to my nightmare. Charlotte is trying so hard not to give me sympathetic looks and Amelia keeps stealing glances at me over her MacBook. The longer I sit here the more uncomfortable I become.

"Are you thirsty?" Charlotte suddenly asks. "Do you want any milk or orange juice?"

I blink in surprise before I mutter an answer. "Milk would be good, thanks,"

She smiles at me before she gets up to get the milk. That's when Leandre sets a plate with a grilled cheese sandwich in front of me. He takes a seat beside me with his own plate as Charlotte sets down two glasses of milk for us. Charlotte then takes a seat across from us.

No one says anything for a while and I wonder if we have to say a prayer since we're in Charlotte's house, but Leandre starts to eat. I take that as my own cue to start eating. All the while Charlotte watches us eat in silence as Amelia works on her MacBook in silence.

"Do you need something, Charlotte?" Leandre finally asks with a sigh.

Charlotte shakes her head with a surprised smile like she didn't think she would be asked that kind of question. "No, I was just thinking about Niles,"

I blink in surprise. "Me? What for?"

She lets out a small giggle. "Just you," I stare at her in confusion until she goes on. "I was just thinking about how adorable and handsome you are."

My cheeks heat up and I don't know what to do so I pick up my glass of milk and take a sip. I've never been too confident about myself, especially with Leandre right next to me. How could I be confident when all my life I was told by my father that I was unlovable and ugly? How does one respond to a compliment without sounding like an idiot?

"You are truly adorable, Niles," Charlotte giggles. "Leandre has a serious face while yours is much gentler. You two compliment each other well. Your faces match your personalities as well. Leandre is always so serious and business, while you are more gentle with people and more outgoing,"

"Outgoing?" The word slips out of me without permission. "I'm not outgoing. I used to be, but... now I'm just trying to get through every day,"

I was very outgoing in high school. Back when it was less my responsibility to take care of the house and my father. At least then he was forced to pay the bills before I was able to get a job. I was always going out and hardly ever at home. I would crash at Wulf's place or other friends, go to parties, and stay out late enough that I would only have to spend a few hours at home.

"Hmm," She hums. "Is it easier now? I mean being here with Leandre?"

I shrug my shoulders. "I guess. I'm not responsible for every bill and all the housework. I get more time to myself now which helps me realize I have no hobbies. I have no idea what I like to do anymore,"

Charlotte giggles again. "I'm sure you will find a hobby soon. And I pray Leandre finds a hobby as well. He's going to work himself to death but he doesn't want to listen to his mother about it," She ends with a pout.

"I told him that, too," I say with a snort. "At least with me around he's at least cut down his hours at the company, but that just means he spends more time on Pride things now,"

"Do you spend any time together?" Charlotte asks with a pointed look at her son.

Leandre gives her a "duh" expression. "Of course,"

"He's good at eating every meal with me at least," I say with a small smile. "It was a little weird at first if I'm being honest,"

"Weird?" Leandre asks.

"Yeah. Before I would eat alone or not eat at all. To be honest, eating wasn't a top priority for me when I was working three jobs and trying to keep my father placated,"

Leandre frowns. "I do not like that man,"

A snort slips out of me. "You and me both,"

"And you never had any siblings?" Charlotte asks.

My body tenses up as the glass of milk almost slips out of my hand. "No," I say too quickly.

Charlotte knows the question upset me but she doesn't ask about it. Even Amelia looks curious about it as she looks at me over her MacBook. I'm afraid to see Leandre's expression. He doesn't know why the question upset me either, or why my mother died.

"Well, either way, I am glad you are here now. It sounds like you were leading a very hard and exhausting life back in the states," Charlotte says to try and clear the now awkward air.

I give her a tight smile and nod. "Yeah, me too,"

She looks a bit sad for a moment before a smile flits across her pretty face. "I do hate to cut this short but I still have a few more chores to do before some appointments later today. Will I be seeing the both of you soon?"

"Yes, Charlotte, you did say you were going to force him to cook with you after all," Leandre answers.

"That is true," She giggles. "I look forward to it, Niles," She says before getting up and leaving the room.

Leandre shakes his head with a sigh. Then he picks up our empty dishes and takes them to the sink to rinse off before he places them in the dishwasher. He gives me an odd look that I don't understand before he moves to Amelia.

"We will be heading out now, Amelia," He says next to her.

Amelia gives him a small smile before turning in her chair to give him a hug. "Come back soon?"

Leandre laughs. "I already told Charlotte we would,"

She nods her head before letting him go. "Bye for now then," She then looks to me, her cheeks tinging pink. "Bye, Niles," She says in a small shy voice.

"Bye, Amelia," I say with a hopefully reassuring smile. I know the poor girl is shy but I want her to warm up to me like she is with Leandre. I guess being her brother has its perks.

Leandre then takes me by the hand. "Shall we go then?"

I nod my head and follow him out of the kitchen.