Chapter 6

After an hour long and very uncomfortable ride, we finally make it to The Mall of America. Before I can get out, though, Leandre is suddenly there opening the door for me. Again, if I didn't already know he was a supernatural creature, I would have been very confused by how quickly he got to me.

After I get out he shuts the door behind me and knocks on the front passenger's window. The driver rolls the window down and Leandre leans against the door to speak to him.

"This is your pay for this morning. You may do whatever you want until I text you we are ready," He says as he hands the man a stack of bills. My eyes widen as I catch a Benjamin Franklin on the top of the stack.

I don't really know how much a car service is, but could it really be that expensive? I suppose it could have cost that much by how long the driver has been here. But judging by the driver's shocked face, even he knows it is too much.

"Sir, this is far too much," The driver says as he tries to hand the stack back.

Leandre shakes his head. "It's a tip," He says before he stands upright and looks at me. "Shall we?" He asks.

I am still in shock as I numbly nod my head and follow after him like a dutiful puppy. How can someone just throw around hundred dollar bills like that and act like it wasn't a big deal? He definitely just made that drivers day with such a huge tip. I've never made that kind of tip before, not even with Mr. Smith down at the bar who has been trying to get into my pants since the day we met.

"What stores do you enjoy?" Leandre asks as we enter the mall.

The place is already crowded to the point where Leandre and I are literally pushed into each other. My bare arm touches his arm that is covered by his suit jacket, and yet, I can still feel the hot sparks. It is especially crowded today because a celebrity of some sort has a shit ton of teenagers crowded around a makeshift platform in the center plaza. As we walk by, I catch a sign that says 'Meet Up', whatever that means.

I look around and watch people who look like they don't have a single care in the world. Most of them have shopping bags from different stores, mostly everyone is with someone, people laugh and talk, children laugh and play, teenagers stand in crowds acting like they are celebrities themselves. Honestly, I wish I had this growing up. I didn't go to the mall that often because I never had the money. I was always to busy with sports or partying.

"Niles," I snap my head to Leandre as I hear him say my name.

"Sorry, what?" I ask as I really wasn't listening, and now I feel bad because I should have been listening to him.

Leandre chuckles. "I asked what stores you enjoy to shop at,"

I blink and nod my head. "Oh, that," I say as I go back to looking around. "I don't really know,"

"What do you mean you do not know?" He sounds curious.

"I mean, I just buy whatever Walmart has," I say with a shrug.

"Interesting," He says. He doesn't sound like he's judging me for shopping at Walmart, instead, he sounds truly interested. "Well, now you can shop wherever you want, it is my treat after all,"

I open my mouth to disagree before I remember I'm an idiot and forgot my wallet. Great. If I don't want to look like a hobo in front of everyone here I'll have to swallow my pride and allow him to pay. I'll just pay him back later.

We walk for a while, taking the stairs to the next floor instead of the escalator. I've never really liked escalators because I feel like they are making people lazy. Sure, I understand if you a have a lot of shopping bags, or if you are pushing a baby stroller around, or if you are injured or an elder, how the escalator would be a big help. But for everyone else? For people like me who are in okay shape and can get around just fine, I think the escalator makes us lazy. Why not take the stairs and get in shape while you're at it?