Chapter 38

"What did she want this time?" Malik asks over breakfast the next day.

"The same as every other time," Leandre grumbles. "Something about revenge. I still do not understand what she was going on about and she refuses to explain herself,"

"Figures," Malik snorts before shoving cheesy scrambled eggs into his mouth. "You know, I'm starting to think she doesn't have any revenge to dish out and just wants to pick a fight with us because she's grumpy about magic being illegal,"

"Could be," Charlotte agrees. "She never has explained what her revenge was for. I doubt she ever will, honestly,"

"Either way," Leandre says. "She is taken care of for now but I do not doubt she will be back again,"

Malik grunts. "Dear Goddess, I hope not,"

I stay silent as I eat the breakfast Charlotte made us. I'm utterly exhausted from all the crying I did so early in the morning. After I calmed down we went back to sleep but I was still exhausted. Leandre never did tell me what time he got in, but that just makes me assume he got in pretty late and I was a dick for waking him up.

"See, Niles," I hear Malik say so I look up from my plate to look at him.

"Huh?" I ask since I had stopped listening.

Malik winks at me. "I said I told you so,"

My head tilts to the side. "You told me what?"

"I told you that Leandre would be fine, didn't I?"

I take a deep breath through my nose and shrug. Malik's jaw drops.

"What does that shrug mean? I really did tell you he would be fine. In fact, I promised he would be fine,"

"Good for you," I mutter.

Malik huffs as he points his fork at me. "I should get something good for keeping my promise,"

I look at him with a hopefully blank face. "I'll get you ten bags of Hot Cheetos," I really don't want to talk to Malik or Charlotte right now. I honestly just want to be left alone with Leandre.

Malik grins wide. "I would accept that,"

Charlotte snorts. "Of course you would,"

"Hey, don't dis my Hot Cheetos," He says defensively.

Charlotte shrugs her shoulders before standing up from the table. "Well, I'm done, is it safe to go back home now, Leandre?"

Leandre nods his head. "Yes, you can go back home,"

"Good," Charlotte says with a head nod.

"Leave the dishes, I will clean up," Leandre says as he stands from the table as well.

Charlotte gives him a smile. "What a wonderful son you are," She says before kissing him on the cheek. "I am glad you were safe,"

Leandre says nothing as he kisses her on the forehead, then, Charlotte heads off in the direction of the bedrooms.

"Are you done?" Leandre asks Malik before taking his plate without an answer.

Malik looks at the empty spot in front of him where his plate was just moments before. He looks like a puppy stricken for the first time. Obviously Malik wasn't done eating. He sighs solemnly as he gets up from the table and silently goes to the bedroom he used last night. I look at Leandre who has already started to hand wash the dishes.

I finish the orange juice in my cup before I take my own dishes to the sink. "Can I help?"

"Why don't you go take a shower or get ready before we go?" He replies.