IX

As Stephan walked to his chemistry class, he sighted Susan coming down the hall in his direction as she was distractedly fixing something on her bag. She was wearing a black dress with matching flats and had her usual long hair down. And Stephan couldn't stop but find her as beautiful as yesterday's morning.

He smiled and waved timidly as she looked up but then get into her classroom in a rush.

Maybe she didn't see me.

...

Frances had Literature class with Angelica that day and she sat beside her. The usual bubbly friend never looked so devastated before. As Frances placed her things, Angelica stood up and took a seat at the other side of the room, crossing her arms above the table and plopping her head into it.

As the teacher still wasn't in the room, Frances went after her friend and knocked softly at the table. Angelica peeked and sighed before hiding her face again "What do you want?" She said with a muffled voice.

"I-I just want to say I'm sorry. I tried to avoid it all but I had no choice"

"That's the thing with you Frances" Angelica sat up straight, looking at her old friend with a death glare. Frances froze at the sight of it once she never saw it before "You try, and say that have no choice. YES, YOU DID HAVE A CHOICE! You could have chosen to be my friend and not pretend to be something you are not! You even forgot my damn birthday last month!"

The girl started to cry and ran out of the room. Frances ran after her and found her sobbing at the empty hall with the hands covering her face. Before she could speak, Angelica kept on talking as she takes a step in Frances direction with an angry expression.

"Do you know how long I waited for you to show up?! You know I have no one else besides you and Stephan. IT WAS THE WORST BIRTHDAY I EVER HAD!"

"Angie I-"

"AM SORRY I KNOW YOU'RE GONNA SAY IT! BUT I AM DONE!"

The two girls stared at each other for a moment, both hurt from arguing with their oldest and best friend.

"Once you promised that would always be by my side and be happy or sad for me" Angelica said sounding hurt "And I was happy for you when you sat at the Doll's table. But I didn't imagine you would throw me away after that... Per months the only thing you said to me was "Sorry, can't go to ice cream night", "So sorry, can't help you with that important test", "Sorry, I can't keep you in my house tonight to get away from your brother because my friends are here", "Sorry, I didn't mean tO KISS THE BOY YOU LOVE IN FRONT OF YOU!"

"BUT I DIDN'T! IT WAS HE WHO-"

"ENOUGHENOUGHENOUGH!" Angie shouted back as she covered her ears with the eyes shut.

"Angie, I didn't mean to cause you harm! I actually tried to stop them to! I couldn't do a thing! I refused to write the damn note in Georges handwriting and tried to take it away after they forced me to! But they-"

"¿Qué?" Angelica stared at Frances with a shock expression "You said you wrote the note?" Frances stood silent as she bites her lip to keep the tears inside "IT WAS YOU?! ANSWER!"

"I'm so sorry Angie..." Frances' voice cracked and Angelica stared at her in anger.

"Don't ever talk to me again" Angelica stated and walked away but as Frances was about to go after her, the teacher showed up and made Frances come inside.

As the teacher prepared to put on a slide show, Frances sat numbly at her chair.

I lost my best friend.

"Hey what about me?" The voice pretends to be hurt and Frances could feel the smirk followed by it.

She was about to reply when the teacher began to speak "Well kids! I want you all to pay attention here" Frances froze when she looked at what the projector was showing "Today we're gonna read and analyze Mary's suicide note"

As the class went on, Angelica still wasn't back. The teacher also made many kids express how they felt about Mary's death. A hipster kid said "Mary and I used to hang around together... But she said that I was boring... Now I realize that I really wasn't boring, is just that she was unsatisfied with her life"

Frances had a scowl on her face has many others said similar things. They were both lying or convinced themselves that it was true.

"I remember that Mary and I even used to swap some clothes and-" Some girl started to speak and Frances couldn't hold any longer, she burst out laughing of the scene everyone was doing and playing Mary as a saint. But when the attention drew over her she pretended to be crying.