XXV

Alfred arrived at school completely wreaked. He blamed himself to the core and it was like a switch had switched in his mind. Why do I have to be such a mess? Why couldn't I keep my promise? ... All she wanted was to have a normal and lovable relationship with me. I tried to make a better world for us but- But she was right. This not the way... I have to fix this. For her.

He got to the boiler room under the gym, where the pep rally would be happening in twenty or so minutes, and saw Stephan on his knees untangling some wires. Alfred sniffed and sighed, walking closer, and it called Stephan's attention. The boy slightly smiled and stood up.

"Hey, Alfred. Everything is almost ready, I just need to-"

"Stephan stop" Alfred stated seriously and Stephan eyed him worried. The guy hesitated for a moment before saying "Your sister died" He paused, analyzing Stephan's blank expression "Did you hear me? She hanged herself" Stephan still didn't reply and Alfred keep going with rage and hurt and he stormed towards the bomb's trigger, starting to disarm it "This went too far! It is meaningless without her!"

"What are you doing?" Stephan finally spoke.

"Cancelling tonight's fireworks"

"Why?! Frances killed herself because of them! WE NEED TO AT LEAST REVENGE HER!"

"SHE DIDN'T DIE BECAUSE OF THEM! IT WAS BECAUSE OF ME!" Alfred stood up again, facing the freckled boy "I am the only one who must pay for all of this, not anyone of this school! Ok, they can are still assholes, but they don't deserve to die because of this! I pushed her to it! I was wrong! I AM THE MONSTER HERE! AND I WANT TO DO SOMETHING RIGHT FOR HER AT LEAST ONCE BY STOPPING THIS F*CKING BOMB!"

He then felt something heavy hit his head, knocking him out.

...

Susan looked at her phone for the 10th time already as she ran towards the school.

"S.O.S"

"Go 2 school now. Alfred put a bomb
somewher 2 blow up during pep rally I can't go
but I know u can pls do something"

"Stephan is involved, alfred put him into it too"

"Save my brother"

"Frances whatre u talking about?"

"What's going on?"

"Fran?"

"You there?"

"Fran pls answer me"

She never got a reply. Her adrenaline was boiling after these messages and the only thing she could think of was run to school and try to stop whatever was happening. The hallways were empty by the time she got there, already being able to hear shouting, cheers and loud music coming from the many students in the gymnasium.

Susan's heart started to beat faster. "Alfred put a bomb somewher 2 blow up during pep rally". It could be at any minute now. She ran through many corridors in score time trying to find Stephan, getting more and more desperate each corner she turned without succeeding. Until she found him getting out of the janitor's closet holding a box. She sighed and run, hugging him from behind. The boy got scared but then Susan walked to the front of him with a smile and tears in her eyes.

"Stephan, I can't believe I found you!"

"Why were you looking for me? You weren't even supposed to be here" He says sharply, yet nervous.

"I-I know. I wasn't gonna come, but Frances sent me this weird text talking about a-a bomb" She kept on talking about the text, but noticed how his eyes became like stone once she mentioned the bomb "Just tell me it is not true"

"It is not" He said and she sighed in relief "Alfred did not drag me to do it. I gave him the idea" Susan tensed up as she stared at him "He said it's his fault, but it's not. You always treated me like shit just because of freaking high school status. Frances killed herself because she couldn't take it either"

"What?" Susan's voice cracked as she heard about Frances, feeling more tears burning in her eyes.

"You heard me... Frances is dead because of this school. And that boiler room will help me revenge her" He said threateningly, close to her face, before walking past her. Susan frowned and pulling her hands into fists before running in front of Stephan with her hands on his shoulders, stopping him.

"No! I won't allow you to take another step further into this hall!" She shouted with a frown of anger as he tried to dodge her, but she held his shoulder tighter and stood in front of him again "This is not you! I want the old Stephan back! The one who is a cute freckled nerd that shares Kit-Kats with stupid popular girls, stutters every two sentences and allows me to be myself with him! That is kind and shy, and yes he has many flaws, but I still am in love with him! A-And-"

He takes a step forward and Susan retreats one as well, his expression sending her chills down the spine and she was beyond terrified. A few tears roll down as she begs "Please"

He throws the box to the side and grabbed her arm. Susan gasped as he pushed her and she tried to release her arm, in vain. He opened the janitor's closet and locked her inside, not before getting her phone.

"Stephan! LET ME OUT!" She screamed between tears as she punched the door and heard her phone being thrown away.

"I am sorry Susan, but this is not going to happen" He said with a slight touch of hurt.

"STEPHAN!" She shouted one last time before she heard him brag the box and walk away "SOMEONE! HEEELP!"

...

Frances ran through the halls until she found a phone on the ground. She grabbed it and turned it on to see the lock screen picture, Susan playing a violin.

"Susan?!" The girl called. There were three possible halls Susan could have followed; still, Frances didn't know which one.

"FRANCES!" Susan replied from the right hall and Frances ran in the direction of the punch noises until she reached the janitor's closet "Fran, I'm locked!"

"I am here, Sus, don't worry! I will... I will..." She stuttered looking around until she found a fire extinguisher and pulled it out of the wall before hitting the handle a few times and it falls to the ground, opening the door.

Susan had tears stains in her face and hopped out of the closet to hug Frances "Y-You're alive" She sobbed "B-But Stephan told me-"

"I know. I had to pretend to Alfred get away..." She said hugging her friend back tightly, but soon pushed her back looking serious "But we have to be quick now, where are they? Do you know?"

Susan nodded "Stephan said something about the boiler room"

"Good, I'm going there. I doubt anyone here will believe if you say there's a bomb, so get out of the school in case the worst happens and-"

"Fran" Susan grabbed her friend's hand as she started to walk away "I won't leave you alone, you can't beat both of them. Are you crazy?"

"This is my only chance to make things right. You only managed to delay Stephan but still, he locked you up. I can't handle to watch if Alfred hurts you... You're the only friend I got Susan. And I need you to live. Can you that for me?" Frances begged, feeling her heart tighten up.

"I-" Susan hesitates but nods before hugging Frances again "Thank you for everything. I love you, Fran"

"I love you too" Frances replied. Susan was the closest she ever thought to get another friend like Angie, even though she knew the bubbly girl would always be irreplaceable "Now go, we're running out of time" She stepped back and they parted ways.