XXI

Monday came by and the most spoken subject in town was the Hamiltons' suicides. The media started to seek for Washington High after the suicide of the two oldest kids of one of the wealthiest families in New York and realized the number of suicides happening there.

There were plenty of reporters interviewing students or saying their quotes in front of the cameras. Theodosia was once again loving her spot in front of the cameras as close friend, and girlfriend, of three of the victims. Frances prayed to none of them choose her as she ran inside the school, which she did successfully.

She got inside and went right to her locker, but as soon as she opened it she heard yelling and some students running to one point in a hallway near her. She shut her locker and went there to see what was going on, soon she realized it was a fight. Frances already had plenty of experience with school fights and nervously walked closer to be sure Alfred wasn't involved in that one.

He wasn't.

But Stephan on the other hand...

"WHAT THE HELL YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!" She shouts as she pulls Stephan by his hoodie from over some random dude and made him stop punching him "Stephan, what are you doing?! The last time I saw you fighting was in first grade when George Eaker stole your sandwich"

"He was talking shit about Angie!" Stephan shouts angrily and the next second Frances was the one punching the boy.

"I DOUBT YOU HAVE THE GUTS TO SAY IN MY FACE! COME ON SAY IT!" She yells as was pulled back by her brother.

"Fran, let's go! He already had what deserved!" He says and shots a last deathly glare at the boy, who gulped and ran away "They are all bastards who don't respect anyone... When it was Mary she was almost canonized but Angie-" He scoffs "Hypocrites of shit"

"Come here" Frances says pulling Stephan into a hug. He hesitates but hugs her back sighing.

"I just don't understand why she did what she did... Of course, she had been kinda distant and upset but was just ordinary teenage drama, I never thought she would go this far... I lost my only friend, Frances..."

"Hey" She says pushing him back to look into his eyes "You're not alone, understood? You still have me, brobro. And I promise to always be by your side" She lifts her hand in a fist and Stephan gladly smiles before grabbing her fist and shaking it up and down slightly two times before also turning his hand into a fist and punching hers, then both did a blow gesture and smile at each other.

"Thanks, Fran" He says gladly and leaves for his class.

...

In each class of that day, the teachers would lecture the students about suicide; how it is a serious matter, that the school is there for them, that they will start a support team to help and new campaigns about suicide prevention and etcetera.

Once the class was over, Stephan walked through the corridors looking to his feet with the hood over his head, just as he had done the entire day long. Some jerk pushed him and he fell, but when Stephan looked back he couldn't say who the one who pushed him was because of the many students walking and talking loudly in every direction.

He stood up after sighing and headed to his locker with a dead expression as the corridor began to turn emptier. The boy had just lose the only friend he ever had in life due to some issue he wasn't aware of. Why didn't she tell me anything? I could have helped her. I could- His thoughts were interrupted by a hand on his shoulder. Stephan slowly turns his head and blankly stares at the girl behind him.

"Hi, Stephan" Susan says softly with an embarrassed smile.

Stephan scoffs and rolls his eyes as he put some books inside the locker "So now you talk to me"

"Don't say it like that" She says quieter and takes her hand off him slowly "I just wanted to know if you are ok"

"Why do you care? To find another jock to punch the hell out of me if I am? Well, f*ck you, Susan!" Stephan slams his locker shut and Susan jumps at his reaction.

"Step, it's not like that. It's just that I am in the same hole as you. I know perfectly well how it is like to lose a friend... Or three... And feel lost and alone, ranting about how you wish you were a better friend and wonder if now you should also-"

"Spare me of your sad story, ok?" Stephan gestures with his hand and Susan looks hurt as he kept on going "All of your friends were jerks and so are you"

"You know it's not true" She whispers.

"You betrayed me, Susan!" Stephan shouts with watering eyes "I opened my heart out to you and you stepped on it with no mercy!" They stare at each other for some seconds "I loved you" He says and Susan widened her eyes once it was the first time she listened that being said so sincerely "And you repaid it by choosing your stupid high school popularity"

He passes through her, Susan needed to dodge to not being hit, but she grabs his wrist tightly right in time "Wait-" Stephan looks to her over his shoulder with a wrathful expression and Susan sighs as she steps towards him and cups his face kindly looking in his eyes with sorrow before standing in her tiptoes to finally kiss him "I'm sorry" She whispers once they pulled away.

They stand in silence for a second before Stephan says blankly "But this still doesn't change things. Maybe- Maybe, with time? I don't know, Susan"

Susan stood in shock as Stephan walks away. His heart broke but at that moment he wasn't able to feel it, he was completely numb for the weekend's events. The girl started weeping but then someone yelled her name from the outside and she wiped the tears away as quick as she could as she walked towards there.

"COME ON, REYNOLDS! OR I'LL LEAVE YOU BEHIND!" The bus driver yelled and Susan quickly hopped into the school bus "Next time I'll not wait, got it?"

She nodded and took a seat in the behind. Many kids started to whisper and gossip around with some giggles and glances at Susan. The girl just wanted to disappear in that moment. She never needed to take the bus since when Mary got her license when she was 16 and in the few times she couldn't give Susan a ride there were Georges, Philip or Theodosia. But now three of them were dead... And Theodosia was always busy or giving excuses to not ride Susan home. So she found herself obligated to take the bus.

The girl bitted her lip to not cry in there as she looked through the window and hugged her backpack tightly.

"Susan Reynolds, can you believe in it?" Some girl two rolls in front of Susan whispered to the other thinking she wasn't listening "The ex-princess of school is now taking the bus home. Gosh, she became such a loser"

"I know right?" The other replied a bit quieter "And you saw how Theodosia is pushing her totally aside now without Mary? I bet that by the end of the month she will be replaced"

"No way, do you really think that?! But she is the head cheerleader, is that even possible for her to lose her popularity?"

"100% sure, gal. I even heard the coach saying that she is going to open tests for cheerleaders because Susan doesn't have her head in place anymore and don't concentrate"

The girls started to giggle again as Susan needed to close her eyes and bit her lip a bit harder to contain the tears.

Everything is falling apart... Everything I worked so hard on is being taken away from me. Not even Stephan wants to be close to me! All my friends killed themselves suddenly... Maybe the problem is me after all...