XIII

By the evening, Frances was peacefully doing her history homework in her room when Mary started to annoy her again "Ugh, it's so boring being stuck with you! Why couldn't I be murdered by Philip or Georges or any other of the football guys? At least I would have some fun for the rest of eternity instead of watch you do nerd stuff and your make out sessions with the psycho"

"God, why such a punishment...?" Frances murmured "Yea, it's not exactly my dream coming true either to be stuck with the bitchiest and superficial human I ever met but here we are!"

"Ouch. It really got in my feelings" Mary replied sarcastically.

"Why can't you be like any other ghost and go haunt some mansion? You will feel home there surrounded by other rich and bitchy people such as you" Frances said as she writes down some important dates of the revolutionary war.

"Pff- You really think I would still be with you if I could?"

Frances groans and keeps on her discussion with Mary as Stephan passed by the hall and sighted his sister arguing to someone. At first he thought she was on the phone but then realized she was talking to herself "Uhm- Frances? You ok?" She shushed and gives her brother a weird smile, visibly embarrassed by being caught.

"Y-Yea. Just a- Ahm... Practice for theater class"

"You have theater class? Since when?" He asks leaning on her doorstep with the arms crossed.

"Since ever I wanted, you prick" She replies.

"If I didn't know you well, Frances, I would say you were talking to yourself"

"And even if I were, it's not of your business" She says walking to him and holds the door "Now if you excuse me, I gotta finish my homework" Then she slams the door on his face.

"Subtle"

"Shut up"

About half an hour later, Frances heard a noise coming from her window and she tilted her head from her papers. She turned in that direction and gasped when saw Alfred climbing into her room "What the hell?! What do you think you are doing?!" She shouted before running to help him.

He plopped in and chuckled looking up at Frances serious expression "I wanted to say hi"

"Hi. Now the real reason?" She says crossing her arms and staring at the boy lying on her floor.

Alfred sits and sighs "I wanted to say sorry about yesterday. My father and stuff..."

She sits down beside him and places her hand over his "It's ok"

"No, it's not. He is a dick!" He replies and both of them laugh.

"But you know you could have simply told me this at school, don't you?"

"Yea... Actually, I don't know why I even came... I just feel I can't stay away from you for too long" He says looking into her eyes and she melts.

"Own you're so cute" Frances says before kissing his check, making the boy smile "And you know you can tell me anything, right?"

Alfred hesitated before sighing "You want to know about her, don't you?"

"Only if you want to..." Frances says softly and he squeezes her hand a bit.

"Back then my father was... A heavy drinker. I can't even count how many times he punched me and my mom. And I was 10 when it happened and we were living in Texas. My father was supposed to blow an old library but right before he did, my mom ran inside... She did it on purpose, just to get away from him" He went silent for a moment and Frances got worried about him.

"Sorry..." She whispered.

"She left me alone with him. He got better through the years though, and never hit me again but he got so distant that it's almost like I'm on my own in this world..." He finally made to look in her eyes "Until I found you"

She softly smiled at him before he leans in and kisses her. She kisses him back but as he puts his hand under her T-shirt and touches her back she separates them with a giggle "Wait, what are you doing?"

"What?" He asks innocently with a grin.

"We can't do this here" She whispers as it was obvious "My parents and Stephan are home tonight"

"So what?" He laughs and teases her "You could just not moan so loud- Oh, wait. You can't"

"You, ass" She giggles pushing him away.

They spent a while just talking and laughing sitting on the ground until there was a knock at the door and they went silent.

"Frances?" It was her mom "Dinner is ready!"

"Okay, ma!" She shouts standing up and pushing Alfred up as well "Will be there in a minute!"

"Alright, sweetie!" Peggy answers and they heard her walking downstairs.

"I guess it's time to leave?" Alfred asks.

"No kidding" Frances rolls her eyes and he pushes her slightly. She then pecks his cheek "See you tomorrow?"

"Absolutely" He answers with a smile before hopping into the window.

"Wait, how exactly did you know this was my bedroom window?" She asked raising an eyebrow.

"Lucky guess?" He replied with an embarrassed smile, which made her giggle "See ya, love"

"See ya"

...

It was about eleven o'clock when Frances phone rang, showing Susan's image "Susan?"

"Fran, I need help. I'm in the cemetery and-"

"Wait, what are you doing there?"

"I have no time to explain, just come quick, please?" The girl begged and Frances ran to put on a zip-up sweater and grab her sneakers.

"Ok, ok. I'm coming, don't worry" She replies quickly putting on one shoe "But are you ok?"

"I-" She started her sentence but then the call was over. Frances got worried about her friend and rushed downstairs, falling at the last steps as she tried to put on the last shoe.

"Frances? Are you ok?" Peggy asked tilting her head from over her husband's shoulder as they were watching a movie in the living room.

"Ouch... Yes ma!" Frances shouted finally putting on her sneaker and walked to the living room "Dad, I need the car"

"Why do you need the car?" He asked back with a raised eyebrow.

"I don't have time for a questionnaire now, Susan needs my help! I have to go!" She said and the urgency in her voice made John realize it was indeed serious.

"Ok ok" He said standing up, leaving a worried Peggy on the couch, as Frances followed him to receive the keys "Here, now go" John said handing her the keys and Frances passed by a worried Stephan.

"Wait, you said Susan is in danger?" He asked following her in the way to the front door.

"I didn't say danger, I said she needs my help. I don't know what is going on but I gotta go" She says and opens the door. She was about to close it but Stephan grabbed it.

"I wanna go too"

"No, you don't. You stay here"

"If she-"

"Stephan you can be love stuck any other time but not now, okay?!" Frances shouted back and left the door open with him as she ran to her father's car.

"JUST STAY SAFE, YOU IDIOT!" Stephan shouted as Frances pulled the car to the driveway.