XX

Angelica cried out each tear she had inside her body since when she ran out of the funeral. She felt so betrayed and stupid. Stupid of her to believe Frances would still be the same. Stupid of falling into Georges' lies. Stupid in thinking there was a reason for her brother's death other than the truth. Stupid for never realizing their relationship before. Stupid for believing there was good inside people. Because there is none.

Naïve. 

Dumb.

Prick.

Stupid. 

Freak. 

Child.

Fool. 

Annoying. 

Burden.

Every word her brother already shouted at her kept on haunting her in a loop as she screamed in her pillow as hard as she could as started to cry again.

...

"Angie?" The sweet voice came right after a knock in the girl's bedroom door. There was no response and her mother knocked again "Angie, dear..." Elizabeth tried to open the door but it was locked "Angelica?" She asked softly but the room was still in pure silence so she supposed her daughter was asleep and left to put her younger kids into bed.

When Sunday's morning came, Alexander decided he would take his kids to church that day. All of them were downstairs having breakfast, except Angelica. John, the Hamiltons' nine years old kid, knocked on his sister's door "Angie, momma is calling us for breakfast" There was no response so he started to knock repeatedly as he shouts "Angiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie!"

That used to work every time and she would chase John until eventually getting him and starting to tickle the boy until someone appears to save him. But this time it didn't work. He started to call for her louder until their father walked upstairs to see what was going on "Wow wow, what is happening?"

"Angie doesn't want to open the door" John answered pouting and crossing his arms. He had a really close relationship with his older sister and was upset she was ignoring him.

Alexander sighed and tried to turn the handle, but it was still locked as his wife told him last night "Angel, come on, don't shut yourself in" She didn't answer and her father started to get mad and knocked harder at the door "Angelica, open this door right now!"

She still stood in silence and Alex went to his office to grab the copy of her room's key.

"Is Angie in trouble?" John asks sheepish for getting his sister in trouble just because she wanted to stay in bed.

"No, I'm just worried about her" His father answers as he put the key in the lock "You can join the others downstairs, we will be there in a minute" John nodded and obeyed.

Alexander opened the door slowly and looked around, only finding Angelica's bed messed up and her bathroom light on, the door ajar "Angel?" He walked close but didn't peek inside. He sighed and started to speak "It was a hard punch to lose Philip, I know... But your brothers need you right now... I need you right now, sweetheart. So, can you please get out here?" There was still no response "I promise I'm not mad at you, I'm just worried" She still didn't answer and he adds with a tiny smile "I can make you blueberry pancakes. I know it's your favorite"

He got more worried after she didn't even make a sound during this whole time and finally walks into the bathroom carefully "An-" His voice gets trapped at his throat as he loses a heartbeat. Alex bawls his daughter's name as he throws himself to the ground next to her and pulls her to his lap sobbing uncontrollably "Angelica, Angelica my daughter, you- you are ok- you are- ELIZA!" He screamed for his wife as his clothes soaked with blood and cups Angelica's immobile face "You are going to be ok, you are- ELIZABETH, COME HERE NOW!"

Philip was his pride, but Angelica was his joy. And Alexander lost both of them within a day.

...

In a few hours, the news' of Angelica's suicide had leaked and the Hamilton family has been buried with journalists and cameras as they went to the church once again in that weekend for another of their kids' funeral.

"I wasn't a good mom!" Elizabeth cried out hugging her daughter casket. Alexander grabbed her shoulders and envolved her into a tight hug, trying to comfort his wife at the same time as was also weeping "I wasn't! I didn't do a good job! They would still be here if I had! If I could trade my life for theirs I would! They didn't deserve it- They didn't..."

"Frances?" The girl turned to her right and saw little John Hamilton crying. She tried to wipe her tears away from the scene she just witnessed and sadly smiled at him "What is it, little guy?"

He hesitated before asking "Why Phil and Angie left us?"

Frances started to cry harder and wasn't able to answer the boy's question. She left the funeral and ran to Alfred's house, punching the door with wrath until he opened it and looked confused as he saw Frances.

"You did it didn't you?" Frances stares deathly at Alfred's eyes.

"What?"

"ANGELICA, YOU SHITHEAD! YOU DID IT DIDN'T YOU?!" She screamed in his face and his eyes widened as he grabs her wrist and pulls her inside, but as soon as she crosses the door frame she pulls her arm away from him.

He closes the door and the girl starts to point at his chest repeatedly in anger "I know you did it, NO ONE ELSE WOULD HAVE DONE THAT! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!" She pushes him strongly and he hits the door behind him "ANGELICA DIDN'T DO ANYTHING TO YOU! SHE WOULDN'T HARM AN ANT, SHE DIDN'T DESERVE THAT! SHE-"

"FRANCES!" He interrupts her, receiving another death glare "I didn't do a thing" Alfred said sincerely, shaking his head with sorrow in his eyes.

"No, it must have been you. Who-"

"Fran... It was a suicide" He says carefully stepping closer to her "She was the one who did it"

"No" Frances shakes her head repeatedly, stepping back and Alfred attempts to hug her but she pushed him slightly once all her adrenaline was already draining "No. No. No. NO! She would never do that. She wouldn't-" The sobs made her not being able to finish her statement.

This time when Alfred hugged her, she accepted it and held him tighter "I promised I would not do that again, remember?" He asks softly and she nods "I'm so so sorry for your loss, Fran... I know how much she meant for you"

"It's all my fault... And this time you are not going to say it's not, because it is! I completely wrecked her yesterday but- But I never thought she would do such a thing" Frances says and sobs louder "Why did I do that? Why?! I should have told her the whole truth, she would... Probably understand... She would be mad but in time we would talk again... But now- She is gone a-and I wasn't able to be a good friend for her... I failed with my best friend! I only tried to protect her but- I MADE IT ALL WORST! IT'S ALL MY FAULT! SHE IS DEAD BECAUSE OF ME! IF I HADN'T JOINED MARY'S GANG I WOULD BE TAKING ICE CREAM WITH ANGELICA RIGHT NOW!"

Alfred made to take Frances to the couch, where cried harder and harder during a long time until she finally fell asleep of tiredness.

This is the saddest and hardest chapter I EVER wrote and I honestly am heartbroken with this. But it had to happen due to some future events and also to take me out of my comfort zone (I HATE to kill my characters I always get so attached to them, I almost cried writing the scene where Alex finds Angie T-T) and once this is an AU I saw it as an opportunity to try.

I AM TRULY SORRY.