XXVI

Frances found the stairs to the boiler room not too far from the gymnasium where probably the entire school was cheering for the team. She almost tripped down due to her adrenaline but held the handrail quickly.

Careful now, damn it! Philip shouted sounding nervous.

She sighed and got to the edge of the stairs. The hallway that leads to the boiler room was dark, stuffy and quite loud due to whatever was passing through the many pipes at the walls and ceiling and the machine inside the boiler room. Frances did her best to remain as silent as possible until finally reached the red light that indicated the boiler's room door right above it. She held the handle and air was hit in her face from one of the pipes above her, making Frances jump scared away from the door but managed to not scream. She took a couple of seconds to recompose herself, taking deep breaths to slow down her heartbeats.

Don't be such a scared cat! You can do it. Mary said.

"You're being nice?" Frances whispered almost inaudible.

I just don't want the entire school to die today. So you better control yourself.

Frances opened the door and stepped in.

She quickly hid being a bunch of old schools prompts, looking skeptically around. Some guy was knelt down with a flashlight in their mouth, lighting what she thought was the inside of the bomb, as he fixed some wires. Frances started to move, crouching, until her feet hit a loose metal bar on the ground and she closed her eyes tightly when it made a loud noise.

"Mhm" She heard someone moan near her as the guy handling the bomb stopped working and looked towards her, but didn't actually see her due to the darkness of where she stood. Then there was another loud metallic noise and a few snorts and moans, right from where that last moan came before.

Frances sighted a boy sitting down in front of a pipe that came from the ground and ended in the wall behind them, moving their legs and shoulders resulting in some noise, so the other guy could obviously see him moving. He went back to his work and Frances crouched closer, she noticed the boy's head was looking back at her while his arms were tied on their back around the pipe.

When she got close enough her mouth hanged open "Alfred" She whispered and he moaned quietly again. Frances didn't understand. So, that means the one who is arming the bomb is Stephan? He is the bad guy now? And Alfred... Did all that noise on purpose to distract him?

Oooh I did not see this coming. Philip said and Frances could almost hear him grin.

I love plot twists. Georges added.

SHUT UP YOU TWO! Mary shouted while Frances untied the cloth that was around Alfred's mouth.

He gasped and moved his mouth when it was free and whispered while she worked on his hands "Thank you"

"Don't think this change things up, I still hate you"

"You're alive... That's what matters right now..." He whispers back with a grateful smile.

"Well, it may not be for long"

"I know... He has my gun, Frances" He warns her while breathed heavily "I tried to stop it from happening but he knocked me out"

"This is called karma. You created a monster, Alfred" She said finally untying his hands and he was about to stand up when she whispered in his ear "Don't move. If he sees you are gone he will come after us"

He hesitated for a moment before saying "But maybe that's exactly what you need"

"What?"

"Stay here, love" He whispered and without saying anything else he stood up and ran away loudly. Stephan started to run after him, caring the gun in his hand, but then stopped near where Frances was. Her heart stopped when he looked in her direction.