XI

Almost a week went by after the funeral and Frances kept on hearing Mary's voice, but on that particular day, she was weirdly silent. Frances and Alfred were spending the afternoon at his place watching some Netflix and cuddling at the couch as Frances scrolled over her social media.

Facebook was still filled by posts, photos, videos and interviews talking about Mary, on Instagram there was thousands of mourning posts and stories dedicated to her as well and on Twitter the hashtag #mary4everalive was on trending topics.

"Ugh, she is everywhere!" Frances grumbled and then she saw another Carly's post about how she missed her dearest friend "What the hell are you talking about? You hated her. She hated you!" She threw her phone away and groans.

"Yep. Mary Jefferson is more popular than ever now" Alfred said chuckling and Frances rolls her eyes before he steals a kiss from her. She giggles before pulling him into another kiss.

"Ugh you two are so disgusting! Still telling you, Frances. Kick this ass's butt and get away with Georges!"

"CAN YOU SHUT THE F*UCK UP FOR ONCE?!" Frances shouts suddenly interrupting their make-out session as Alfred stares confused at her and she buries her face in her hands.

"Ok, what was that?" He asks concerned as Frances sighs tilting her head back.

"It's Mary"

"Wha-" He was about to ask again when she stood up nervous and started to walk in circles in front of the couch.

"It's terribly annoying and disturbing, Al!" She shouted "She haunts me and never leaves me alone! Always teasing and annoying me!"

"Hey, it's ok" He said grabbing her hand pulling her to cuddle in the couch again as he strokes her curly hazel hair "You're just feeling stressed and guilty for what happened... But you don't have to. It was not your fault, love"

"Yea, try to convince me of that, psycho!"

Frances buried her face into his chest when she whispered "You sure about that?"

"Yes, I'm. And you don't have to worry about this at all" He stated as he kissed the top of her head.

They spent good 40 minutes watching Umbrella Academy when a man holding a pack of beers walked into the house. He had dark brown hair and used sunglasses with his fancy suit. He was texting someone on his phone and walked slowly when sighted the two teens on his couch.

"Hey, son" Alfred said and Frances looked up at him confused "I didn't hear you coming in!"

The older man chuckled as he raised an eyebrow and placed the beers at the coffee table "Pops, I want to introduce you to my new girlfriend!"

"Ahm, hi" Frances said sitting up straight and raising a hand, which Alfred's dad shacked with a smirk "I'm Frances"

"Well, hello Frances. I'm Charles" He replied as he turned back to the pack of beers and threw one at Frances "Drink up, kitty"

Frances stared at the can and chuckled uncomfortable "It's a little early, isn't it?"

Alfred took the can from her hands and stood up to place it back at the coffee table "Yea, Champ. You know underage are not allowed to drink in this house, remember?" As Alfred crossed his arms and stared at his father, the man raised an eyebrow looking at Frances and said "Oh, so you are a good girl"

Frances hesitated before replying "Uh, yes"

Alfred then intervened "Fran was just leaving so-"

"Nah, relax, boy!" Charles said patting his son's shoulders "Let's have some fun! Sit down!"

The boy sat beside Frances rolling his eyes as he pulled an arm over her shoulder and his father sat at the couch's arm on the other side and opened a beer "Work was a pain in the ass today" Frances looked back at Alfred as he mouthed "Sorry for this" and she weakly smiled at him as to say "It's ok"

"All because some stupid teenagers wanted to stop me from blowing up some dump of a hotel just because a trash boyband spent the night there in 2010" He mocked and then took a sip of his drink before turning to Alfred "It was just like in Kansas. Do you remember Kansas?"

"Yea" Alfred said softly and Frances held his hand. She knew something was off.

"Thermals in the lobby, the trigger in my hand and BOOM" Charles gestured with his hands and laughed "How we use to say, son?" He smiled as pointed at Alfred "It was illegal but acquitted" Both of them said, Charles sounding prideful and Alfred almost like a grumble.

There was an awkward silence for a few seconds before Charles says "So, pops. Aren't you gonna invite my girlfriend for dinner?"

"I don't think it's a good idea, son" Alfred declined.

"Oh, come on, pops. Don't be a square"

"Oh, I... I truly am glad for the offer but I can't stay" Frances said trying to think in an excuse to go home as she stood up "My mom is making my favorite tonight. Lasagna! With... Lots of cheese!" She ended sounding awkward and smiled at them.

"Nice" Alfred said with a sad smile "Well, last time I saw my mom, she was waving at me from a library window in Texas. Right, dad?" He sounded like it was meant to irritate his father.

Charles looked hurt but sipped his beer before answering "Right. Son."

"Uhm, see you tomorrow" She said kissing Alfred's cheek before exiting the house in a rush.

Frances felt weird as she walked back home. Alfred never talked about his mom and now she was more confused than ever about it.

What happened in Texas?