XXIII

"You are a genius!" Alfred said smiling as he smashed his lips against Frances', getting the girl out of guard once she opened the door of her house and he walked in.

"W-What do you-"

"You scared me with that confession, but you did it!" He cheered "The best place to hide? Right under their noses"

She kept a mix of confusion, anger and disgust expression on her face and she sharply replied as followed him to the living room "I wasn't trying to hide. And what the hell do you think you're doing talking about this shit in my house?"

"It's ok, love. I know your parents just left" She didn't understand why but a cold shiver ran into her spine as he said that "But- Why did you help Reynolds? One more dead Doll would be a good thing"

Frances chocked in surprise by his sentence and then said "She's my friend!"

"Oh, if she is so good, why did she put you into that situation with Philip and Georges? Uh?"

"Why are you bringing this subject back?" She asked in a whisper, looking at him still with that same mix of emotions "She was being influenced it's not fully her fault!"

"There's the point! Why letting Theodosia live? She was the one who made Susan want to kill herself and I bet many other students feel the same. Nothing changes if-"

"We are off this fight, right?!" She shouted.

"Oh, so it doesn't bother you that Theodosia still-"

"No, no, no, no" She started to say over his words, as he kept on talking, and pointed a finger at him "You promised, remember? You promised!"

"Is walking around spreading the same wickedness, just the same way-"

"I'm trusting in you- Listen, listen" She said more softly tapping his chest and he stopped talking "Just- Let me talk, ok?" She asked and he nodded "You promised me" She said the last part staring into his eyes.

"I promised didn't I?" He asked and Frances nodded, looking helpfully at him as she saw the soft eyes from the guy she met at Seven-Eleven and pecked his lips but then sighted something she wasn't expecting.

"WHATTA F*CK?!" She yelped pointing to the gun he kept hidden in his pants and stepped back scared as he pulled it out.

"What, it is funny to scare my dad shooting stuff sometimes" He said as if it was obvious.

"IT'S NOT FUNNY! None of this is funny! You are carrying a loaded weapon! You promised me"

"Hey, it's a dangerous world-" He walked close and tried to touch her arm but she jerked away.

"Because of people like you"

"What matters the most to me is to keep you safe, and this is what I've been doing this whole time! I'm actually helping people to not be assholes! They are all toxic to anyone around and don't even notice!"

At that moment something clicked in Frances' mind. She bit her lip as noticed how he was a lost case "You seemed to have improved these past days but was I wrong" She chuckled as her voice cracked "I tried- I tried really hard but damn Alfred, you're a freaking drug! Each day I get closer to you it gets clearer! You do all this shit, twist the truth a-and I believe in it and stay by your side because- GOD, I did love you!"

"Frances who is making you-"

"No. Nope. Not again!" She interrupts him, stepping back again but still staring him with the hands in front of her body to keep a distance from him "You keep on using me to justify the harm you do AND I'M F*CKING SICK OF THIS! Call it all my mistake, say it was all my fault I DON'T CARE! You said you changed, and I believed in it more than anything! But, God, you need help that I can't provide! The answer is not the hate, is not eliminate the ones who go against you; but love!"

"Frances, come on" Alfred chuckled at her statement, finding it actually funny.

"I know you had it hard with your parents" She sighted a glance of sorrow in his eyes but kept on going "And that is hard for you to understand what I am saying. But hurting people is your choice. And I can't take this anymore" They stood in silence for a moment before she sighed and stated "You know what? Don't call me, don't even try to talk to me again, and get out of my house" She pointed to the door as saw his eyes went wide.

"But Frances-!" He begs, going after her as she storms towards the door.

"You don't understand what is right or wrong! We are over!"

"Please, come back here! Let's talk!"

"No! I'm done with your talking!" She opens the front door and turns to him.

"BUT I LOVE YOU!" He says and Frances gasped in fright and jumped as she sees he pointed the gun at her without even noticing it. Alfred slowly looked down realizing it and put the weapon away with a sorrowful expression. He doesn't say another word as he exits the house, keeping his head low.

"Goodbye, Alfred" Frances mumble before closing the door.

Alfred took the way to his house but stopped halfway through it to punch a tree completely filled by anger. He then sighted Stephan being pushed to the ground by some bullies on the other side of the street "HEY!" He shouted and ran towards them, which ran away as fast as they could.

He helped Stephan up and asked "Hey, you ok?"

"I think so" Stephan replied fixing his shirt "Thanks for that"

"No problem"

"UGH! I just wished there was a way to snap them all away!"

"What do you mean?" Alfred raised an eyebrow, interested in where it was leading to.

"Damn, we live in a toxic world! Being mean and wicked is being cool and popular, it's so messed up! I wish we could... I don't know... Do something drastic to awake people?"

Alfred smirks and passes an arm around Stephan's shoulders, leading him away "I think we have a lot to talk about, bud"