Chapter 11

It was the first day of properly opening the deli. Ste had come early so to avoid awkward contact with Doug. It had been a few days since the near kiss and they had finally finished in the deli. They hardly spoke to one another. Not like before. Just the awkwardness overwhelmed them. He unlocked it and found the inside quite cold compared to the scorching weather outside. Which relieved him slightly. He looked around and found himself confused as what to do. He stepped behind the counter and looked  out. Clicking his tongue, he began to sing a bit to himself. His favourite: Cheryl Cole.

''Im sure you'd tell me anything, under the sun! Ooo we oo! Like how you think I'm special and the only one!'' He carried on and got lost so lost in himself and started dancing around, he jumped up and saw Doug staring. He coughed and looked down. ''Oh jeez, um, you didn't see that, right?'' Ste said looking very sheepish. Doug burst out laughing, which set Ste off too. They were back to normal. They carried on throughout the day serving customers, helping each other, it was quite the good day. They both had 2 breaks each but barely stopped as they both wanted to do as much as they could. Up to now, Brendan hadn't come in, so it was a win win situation, really.

Doug looked at his watch and gasped. ''What? 5oclock, already?! God, sorry Ste your gonna have to lock up, i promised Leanne a drink on me.'' He nodded throwing his apron off and heading out. Ste shrugged and began to clean up. About 10 minutes later, as though he had been watching, Brendan walked in. Smiling smugly to himself and chewing his chewing gum. Ste decided to treat him like any other customer. ''Iya Brendan. What can i get for ya?''. Brendan shrugged. ''Whats Carters first name?'' He asked and Ste said without thinking ''Doug, why.'' Brendan smirked. ''Douglas. I like it.'' Ste sighed. ''Its just...Doug.'' Brendan waved it off. ''Shh Steven. I wanted to tell ye. I saw Douglas and the blond girl go into me club. They looked pretty...cosy.''

Ste looked down and pretended not to mind one bit. ''What do i care? He can hang out wi who he likes, right?'' Brendan chuckled. ''Yes, yes Steven. I understand. I wanted to ask too, if you wanted to come to mine. Later. If ya know what i mean.'' Brendan winked and Ste felt slightly revolted. ''I would not come within 10 inches of you...like that. Ive moved on, OK? I like...I love someone else.'' Ste nodded and Brendan's eyes widened. ''Yer in love, Steven? Its not- Oh gosh it is. Douglas! Hahaha!'' Brendan laughed and stole a sandwich, walking out. Ste bit his lip holding back stinging tears. Was it true, was he in love with him? Yes, he was.

Ste headed home feeling a bit drooped, he had stayed in the deli for hours after Doug left, just going over how he felt, if these were his true feelings. They were. He planned to tell Doug that next day. Even if he wasn't gay he had to tell him how he felt. Amy was straightening her hair for the next day as it went curly after a while. Ste kissed her cheek and she smiled warmly. ''Iya Ste, the kids are in bed an Alleh's in the bath. Where ya bin?'' She asked putting her straighteners down on the carpet.  ''Sorreh, was in't deli, thinkin things over and that. Im ok now.'' Amy folded her arms. ''Spill, Ste, now.'' Ste mumbled. ''I think im in love with Doug, no, i know i am.'' Amy gasped and smiled a bit ''Ste, you have to tell him! Have you not seen the way he looks at ye?''

Ste shrugged, he never noticed. ''He's gone out wi Leanne tho! There probably at home...you know. He doesn't fancy meh.But- i suppose ill still tell him. Tomorrow.'' Amy hugged him and yawned. ''Im going to bed, night Ste.'' Ste sighed. ''Night babes.'' After a while he went up to bed himself.

However...the straightners remained on....on the carpet, smoke began to flame and fill the kitchen. 

Doug and Leanne were giggling about something on the way home, they took a walk, moving ever closer to Ste's house...

The straighteners burned more...flames began to spark....

The kids, Ally and Amy, and Ste, all asleep, in bed.

The fire alarm didn't seem to be working..

BOOM!!

The living room windows smashed as the fire flamed up and the glass smashed outside. Doug heard Leanne scream and pushed her out of the way. He turned and his heart stopped. A hand flew over his mouth and the first thing that came to his mind? Ste. He took of his cardigan and Leanne stopped him, already in tears. ''No, Doug don't!!'' Doug shook his head, shaking. ''No, Leanne ring for help, ill be fine!'' She screamed again as the top windows smashed and Doug heard the kids shouting. ''STE!!'' Doug ran inside, and flames enthralled him.

6 people now in a house of fire.

Would Doug save Ste?

What about everyone else?

Will Leanne get help on time?

Who will survive?