Chapter Nine

Tuesday 20 November, evening, Land of Seven Winters.

I blinked my eyes in disbelief as I stood in the heart of the enormous candle-lit hall. There was a long table in the middle with herbs in each of the ornaments and a row of glistening glasses in the centre. There was a variety of meals on the table. The silver dishes had steaming pieces of meat and vegetables and there were almost a million bowls of fruits. Some had fish served with lemon and herbs and they all smelled absolutely wondrous! I was unable to keep my amazement private as I passed the piping hot potatoes.

"Superior Emperor, are you having a feast of some sort, this twilight? I don't mean to be too inquisitive," I apologized, bowing to the Emperor.

"Of course, Miss Chióni. In fact...," he started, his cloak sweeping behind him as he strolled.

I remained quiet, my head still rested on my enveloped hands as I bowed on the floor. I couldn't help but wonder why he would make such an effort to arrange such an opulent dinner.

"...It's a little rushed but this is for you. I also wish to talk to you about my offer of being part of Autumn's Final Government, Miss Chióni," he sighed, halting in front of me.

He tapped me with his gloved hand as I gasped. I peered up at him in more disbelief.

"Dinner? For me? Oh, Superior Emperor, I, once again, cannot accept such honour," I responded quickly, dropping my head to the smooth, marble floor again.

He only gave a gentle laugh, making me look up once more.

"Are you planning to reject everything that I propose for you?" he questioned, looking directly into my eyes.

I jolted at this. Somehow, I felt really guilty! This was a chance that not many got and if Sinh were alive she would have gone ballistic! What would she want me to do? Then I shook my head, going to just my knees now.

"No, Superior Emperor, that is not my intention. I'm just not sure about things like playing an important role in society and I am of the W-Winter Season...To be given a life in the Land of Never-Ending Autumn and my belongings to be here...a place that I call home...I, I just find it difficult to get a grip of. I, I'm sorry if my c-concern may come across as me being ignorant or rude, Superior Emperor," I explained, mostly hesitating as I spoke.

It was so alien to be speaking with a person of such high order when I was just a mere Citizen of Winter... To be given the chance to go to Autumn... Indeed, what right did I have to deny such a great deal? I stayed on my knees, lowering my gaze.

"I'll think about it. If there was another choice, I would accept it," I mumbled, biting my lip.

He responded by gently tapping my shoulder. I looked up at him, feeling like the air in the room was decreasing as he stood next to me. Me. A Citizen of the Winter Season and nothing more.

"Another option? Do you promise that?" he checked, raising an eyebrow.

I nodded as I found my breath.

"Yes, Superior Emperor. I pray to keep my word," I answered, managing a small smile.

"Alright, keep that promise... And come and accompany me to dinner," he declared, this time he didn't ask.

I bowed again, sighing.

"Yes, Superior Emperor. Thank you," I thanked, feeling too overwhelmed to add another comment.

"Miss Camellia, show Miss Chióni the gowns I've prepared for her and ask her to choose from them and after that bring her to dinner," he ordered a passing maid.