Chapter Thirteen

Wednesday 21 November, afternoon, Land of Seven Winters.

The morning had been different from the usual mornings as it was a little warmer today. It was afternoon already and the Winter's icy sun was in the centre in the sky. I gazed out of the kitchen window in wonder, trying to place my finger on what could go wrong about this day. It was supposed to feel normal...

But there was still something ominous lingering in the air that didn't foretell good news.

"Excited to see your new home yet?" asked Astrân, coming into the kitchen with a bitten apple in his hand.

He opened a couple of cupboards, making it known that he looking for something.

"Yes, that sounds great," I answered, hearing him bite the apple again with his back still to me.

He kept quiet for some time, finding whatever he had been looking for before looking at me again.

"Well, I hope that we can get you out of here quickly... And I guess you haven't heard yet?" he puzzled, tossing a bright red apple at me.

Heard...?

"What happened?" I questioned, turning my full attention to him, examining the perfectly blood-red apple in my hand now.

His eyes narrowed as he pulled out a seat next to me. He gave me another one of those puzzling looks.

"Today two women died from the snow virus. Teí left late last night so he's probably still over there right now, trying to figure out where his chaotic life is taking him," he muttered, staring into my eyes.

I finally blinked, my heart dropping as I heard the word virus. And...why was he always staring? He then smiled, probably realising that I had noticed his long gaze.

"I don't understand how someone can be so beautiful. My standards are usually pretty high and you exceed every single obstacle," he said gently, leaning his head against his fist.

My heart quickened this time, amazed that such sweet words could escape from his lips. It was surprising as it was only yesterday that he had been so bitter and cold towards me, always looking at me with eyes that would surely pierce the soul...

"T-thank you?" I thanked, not knowing how to properly react.

He only smiled, biting into his apple again.

It was a little awkward after that as I gave him a nervous laugh, it was more like a frightened squeak rather than a laugh! Then silence floated over us as he looked even more amused. What was with these people?! They were so good at making people feel guilty for no reason! I then sank my teeth into the crunchy apple, loving the sweet taste that teased my taste buds. Did these type of apples even exist in Winter?

The kitchen door opened again and an exhausted Teí wandered in, seeming weighed down with stress. His half-closing eyes found ours, stopping at me and staring hard into my eyes.

"We need to get you over in Autumn as soon as possible. It isn't safe for you to be here," stated Teí, his expression was serious.

The mood quickly tensed as they both looked at me with concerned looks. And soon the sweet taste of the apple quickly turned sour in my mouth as I didn't dare to chew any more. I swallowed then managed to force some words out.

"Where will I stay? I don't have any relatives o-or anything," I informed, my voice fading at each word.

Teí ran his hand through his hair, looking straight into my eyes.

Winter's Dead BrideOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara