Chapter Thirty

Night arrived unfairly quickly as I read the detailed book under a dimmed light. I was gradually nearing the end, in awe with the amazing words that she had written as I kept going back over the grasping sentences. The choice of words was carefully planned, seeming very direct as though she had written for someone else to read instead of for her own reasons...

"Born with ice wrapped around her heart and a cold, unremovable azalea pressed firmly where her blood flowed, her parents begged and pleaded for my help. I, being the generous and sincere one had to agree as they were Citizens of Winter, neighbours to our Autumn. But I must first process some ideas here on how to go about saving their daughter. I came up with a few ways already — such as creating a substance that would melt the ice — but her heart was weak and outcomes were unknown so I didn't want to make them take a risk after going through so much.
After a million other shots, I then came across the famous Winter's tragedy of "Winter's Dead Bride" and came to notice the major resemblances between their child and her, the Queen of the Silent Winter herself. The Winter's Bride searched for loneliness and was tired of trusting the Winter Citizens whom she claimed were all killed by the blaze of a beast she could not name. She wrote of how she worried that the fire would melt her whole kingdom and she'd become a widow if she lost this Winter that she adored with a determined heart. So I guess that she did not die under that ice that preserved her but instead sent her soul into the heart of their child and possessed her. Her wish was to kill everyone until she was alone in her deserted paradise of course with Winter as her groom. So I could only think of one thing..."

I eagerly flipped to the next page, my tears already drying as I knew that this had to do with something...

"I'd have to sacrifice myself, wouldn't I? It was the only answer I could come to in order to save that adorable child. I believe that the demon would rest for a few more years so the people of Winter will be safe until then. I have spoken to Chervil, my husband, but he's being stubborn and thinks that I shouldn't give up so much for a child who's most likely to become a 'demon' anyway and forget about her sacrifice. Because of his weak belief, he didn't believe me when I told him that she was a demon so of course, he must have thought I was taking it too far! I love him a lot but this child also needs a chance to live her life. We are getting older, we've already lived the exciting moments of our lives... I just hope my sons can forgive me."

I felt my eyes widen as I gathered the information in the next paragraph, finally understanding everything

"...but the demon would be sure to leave immediately if someone killed the child or alternatively if someone of high status fell in love and shared a meaningful kiss with her and sacrificed his own life for the sake of her's... But that would take a long time as all of my children are still too young for the ideas of love and I don't really think they'd be willing to give up their lives either... Except for the strange little boy who still refuses to call me his mother even though I had painstakingly saved him. He's quite mature for his age and would usually watch me making some medicines while his brothers played with each other outside. He didn't like the name I gave him either and when he was old enough, he told me that he already had a name of his own so I shouldn't even bother! Full of mischief that one... I had wanted to name him Heylis, meaning "the brightest candle" or something adorable like that to match his good looks but instead, he said his name was Teí, meaning "son of flames" so I quickly backed away from him and just let him do his own thing. But I wonder if he'll address me as his mother when I finally leave him... I foolishly smile now but I truly doubt that."

I went to the next page, feeling something pressed on it. Although the page was blank, there was a familiar badge and a letter that said "For you" on it. I didn't hesitate in taking both of them and tears filled my eyes as I clutched the badge tightly, feeling that heavy surge of familiarity attacking me. I fumbled to open the letter, still shaking with nerves.

"To Azalea Chióni. From Teí Chrysós.

From the first day we locked eyes, I felt glad to have finally managed to cross your path and meet you. 'A-Azalea Chióni'. Damn, I feel like an old man who is fondly thinking back to all those memories now. I will be completely honest in this letter because I know that you would have already found it because father 'couldn't handle hanging on to his son's belongings.'
Thank you first of all for reading the old woman's book, she would be very glad since she donated her life for you...but who am I to speak, huh? I'm also very sorry because I know I may have hurt you pretty badly but I strongly believe that you still have so much to live for. After all, you never really got to enjoy your life as a whole, right? I wanted you to get that chance because I didn't need it as much as you.
We both came from the same place so one day we'll cross paths again even if the roads over there are parallel because I will still be able to recognise you and wave from a distance...
Like I said, I'll be honest...
That place we came from, you were my best friend and I was yours... So when I watched you fondly speak of how Dhor and you became friends, I became jealous because you had forgotten all about us and our experiences. In fact, I was more jealous because of that than the kiss. Funny isn't it...?

You're also the one who gave me the chain that you had asked me about so I was a little hurt that you couldn't remember even though it wasn't your fault. I shouldn't blame you anymore and should instead give you some words of encouragement...
Well, what I'd like to say the most is — hold on a bit more, try your best to get over the pain and live a little longer and happily for me...is that a deal?
Oh, something else, you see that badge that you've probably recognised by now? Yes, that one. Keep it safe for me and be the Seventh Ministress of Winter for a while, okay? Tell father that I told you to do it and you can take my place. That old man won't protest too much now that I'm gone.
Hey, I love you, Azalea. I find it better to write it down so that you can never forget that.
Just write to me but be warned because I won't be able to reply but I'll visit you in your dreams just for your sake and we can have another go at that love potion, I'm still so eager to see the results.
When the first drop of rain falls on top of your head, please think of me. So believe me...believe me when I say that we'll meet again for sure."

I felt a smile making its way onto my face as I felt my heart flutter at his passionate words. He was jealous after all... I held the badge to my banging heart, breathing out his name over and over again before I was pulling my chair out from the table, taking a pen and page and turning to my heels, rushing outside like an excited child in the empty night, lit only by the slim crescent. I was laughing with endless joy as I raced towards the drooping willow tree, stretching its bowed branches out like a million hands in prayer as I fell to my knees in front of the grave. My eyes found the flowers that had already bloomed. Azalea bushes huddled together and golden flowers dotted the night-licked grass, they were beautiful and something inside me told me that he was telling the truth. He would be alive in my dreams. We would dance together in tonight's mirage as our hearts raced like wildfire. We'd easily forget the truth that the morning would haul along with it. We would forget the depressing ideas that'd troubled us and laugh together as music filled our ears, perhaps even kiss and whisper sweet words to each other... I blindly scribbled on the paper with the aid of the dim moonlight above me.

"I love you...so please visit me in my dreams tonight," I whispered, kissing the crisp page before carefully tucking it in between the flowers.

I gazed up at the slice of light in the sky, falling onto my back and being embraced by the soft and blessed night. No stars were to be seen as the sky seemed to go on forever like a dark void but it still meant that forever existed. I let the warm Autumn breeze pass over me as I smiled with a strong surge of hope. I closed my eyes, feeling safe beside his grave which had scared me to death previously. I wanted to laugh at absolutely nothing like a madman but there was still some sadness that stopped me from doing so as I remembered his heartwarming words. He'd do anything for me.

"You lied...we will meet again. You would never give me up...," I reminded him, his name being carefully carved onto my heart.

"Thank you so much."