Ch 44

"Why did Santa Claus go to a musical University?" Nino looked expectedly at all of us. We were all hanging out at the park.

It was a beautiful day with a slight breeze, just enough for a sweatshirt. Perfect. We then started to tell some jokes, I can't remember why... But so far they have been getting worse and worse.

We all looked at him and shrugged.

"...so he could improve his wrapping skills!" He pulled out a cheesy grin and wiggled his eyebrows.

Half of us were laughing, the other half staring, betrayed, into the distance.

I was next and I was so ready, "what do you call a fake noodle?" I had a challenging expression on my face. I knew it was going to be the best/worst joke of the day.

Nino was still the person seriously into this. He has invested too much to lose. He was contemplating very hard while everyone else just shrugged.

I opened my mouth to reveal the answer, "An --" I was cut off by screaming around the corner.

People were running around like headless chickens. A few were caught by a screen of some sort, kind of like a force field, except they just passed through it. They immediately fell to the ground in a fit of laughter.

The whole group rose and we all quickly said our good-byes before we all turned to return to our homes. Everyone went their separate ways, but Marinette and Adrien just went with me to my house. It was the closest and we were going to go back anyway.

Knowing my dad, he was taking a nap up stairs. Mom was working this week and next, so she was gone. We stood in the living room when I just asked for the plan.

"Well how're we going to proceed?" I looked to my companions while I let Kama out of my pocket.

"We're going--"

"What do you mean we?" Adrien cut off Marinette before she could really do anything.

I raised an eyebrow, "uh, we have to fight the akuma?"

"Nuh uh, young lady, you are wrong," he grabbed my shoulders and started to back me to the couch. "Me and Marinette are going to fight the akuma and you," he sat me down gently, yet forcefully, "are going to sit here and rest."

I folded my arms across my chest with a 'hmmp!'

He continued, "your wound isn't healed up yet, at least not enough to tempt it." He then turned to Kama, "it's your job to make sure she doesn't do anything stupid."

She gave a noble salute that I had to groan at. My last hope was Mari, who gave me a confused 'I don't know what to do about it' shrug.

Adrien eased up on the 'mom mode' and gave a sweet smile to me. "Just... Stay safe okay?" He leaned down and kissed my hair line before transforming into Chat. He ran out of the building, not bothering to wait.

"Hey, you guys stay safe too okay? Hate to have to come rescue you," I shot a smirk Mari's way as she transformed herself and left my house.

I sighed and turned on the TV to keep an eye on them the best I could. The news was on and they cut to footage of the villian, "Come on, have a laugh. If you won't the Giggler will just have to make you!" Then you won't believe this but you know what he did next?

He...

Giggled.

Wow, I know like, that's amazing. I sighed and leaned back into the couch, bored but worried.

I knew that the news would do a pretty crap job at following the story, so I went on Alya's blog. She did a fine job of sticking with it even if she was being an idiot to do it.

I watched with some chips as Chat and Bug jumped around trying to avoid the Giggler's screens that would make them laugh without control.

Alya's sound is really good as I could hear their conversation. It mostly consisted of Chat telling Bug really bad jokes.

"Which is faster a hot or a cold?"

"Which one?"

"Hot, cuz you can catch a cold!"

I could hear Alya snicker in the background and the screen shook a bit. I deadpanned at the TV, already done with them.

Chat and Bug we're hiding behind a car when the best joke of the day was delivered.

Chat eagerly asked, "would you like to hear a chemistry joke M'lady?"

My stomach twisted a bit at the word. I quickly shoved some more chips into my mouth, awaiting the answer.

Marinette stubbornly didn't answer. She didn't seem to change her facial expression at all in response to the question.

"So is that a no....?" He drug it out like he wanted to drag the answer out of her.

She then spoke, "oh sorry did you want a," she very obviously turned right to Alya's phone camera, "reaction?"

Chat was wasted.

Bug giggled a bit before continuing the fight. Chat had to sit there in an existential crises for a good thirty seconds before coming to. He looked at the camera with a look of sad betrayal.

That exchange got me giggling.

I hardly paid anymore attention to them as the fight went their way fairly quickly. I spent the rest of the time looking up jokes and resting.

Adrien stopped by afterwards to see if I actually stayed put. He sat down next to my and sighed. I stood up and grabbed him a glass of water before I began my punttack.

"What did one bucket say to the other bucket?"

He gave a mumbled 'I don't know.'

"I'm feeling a bit pale today."

He sighed deeply as I started to laugh. "You do know that you're going to drive me to drinking right?"

"Well I don't know if liquor is the answer, but it's sure worth a shot!"

*Cue groan*