Ch 56

I stood with my eyes closed as I felt... Different. Along with getting transformed into what I fight every other week, I felt all for the negative emotions withing me rise.

Every heart break, bruise, and tear was amplified. It hurt.

I opened my eyes and looked at myself, I raised my arms and found wings raising from my back along with them, like they were stretching.

It seemed like instinct, I knew exactly what I was made to do, what I could do. Almost like a program.

I tucked the piece of paper clutched in my fist into a pocket in my grey suit. It fit my form nicely and would help in stealth, movement, and would be comfortable.

I strode confidently to the window, stories above the street. It came to my attention that I had been inside for longer than it seemed, as the stars were well out and the lights of the city winked at me from a far off. It almost seemed as if they were leading me onward. That my task was noble and would be as much my pleasure as well as my duty. I knew that this would be the only compensation I ever got.

Without another thought I leapt out the window.

I felt the cool night breeze ruffle the feathers on my back, a thrilling feeling. I did delay my undertaking for a while, just gliding over the city. The chill nipped at the tip of my nose where the feathers of my mask didn't reach. It did cover the upper part of me face, and braided feathers into a few locks of my hair.

I finally landed on the Eiffel Tower, about half way up. I held onto one of the beams as I swung the rest of my body into the open air. I stood for a moment before, in full view of the metro station, I began my song.

I started out with no lyric, just emotions flowing out in the form of music. It was a sweet song, a soft song, a deep song. One that expressed all words cannot.

The fly had calmed me, but as I began, the dam within me began to crack, mirroring my heart. I decided to focus on at least one event at a time, if not one feeling.

So I began at the beginning. Fear. The notes that came out to express it were shrill at first with a threat in the underlying tone. Though I didn't know the exact affects of my verse, I did know it would cause goose bumps in the most battle worn warriors.

Heck, it even gave me a shiver as I heard the echo.

I adjusted to loss. I communicated the hurt, and the ache of it. I had to make them understand, that your actions have consequences. That they hurt. That people are cruel.

The confusion, of how anybody, anybody at all could do something so cold-blooded, so painful, so inhuman.

I paused to listen to my work. There were wails from the weak and soft minded, tension from the rest of the city. I didn't have much time before I had company. In fact, I thought I could see a figure moving rapidly in arched movements over the horizon. I decided to fly away with one last sorrowful look at the station.

I watched as they reached the tower, with me no longer in sight. I glided over the rooftops, singing out every once in a while.

I had accomplished retribution from one hardship, the one that really mattered, so now it was unnecessary, but not underserved spite for revenge. I finally landed on a random roof top, and perched on the corner.

I sung about rejection this time. The feelings of betrayal. This song deserved peace, so I closed my eyes for that one respect. Maybe it was to stop the tears from so much exposure to the emotions.

Nevertheless, I was not aware, conscious or not, of the figures that landed behind me until they toughed down. I had just turned to sorrow when they had arrived.

"Hey feathers"

The voice sounded strained, like they were about to cry, but it was one all too familiar that I stopped my song. I swallowed hard and didn't turn around to see my boyfriend.

"You could at least be respectful and call those mourning by their name," I paused and thought about should I say my name or my name.

"(Y/n)?" It was Ladybug this time, she at least recognized me.

I decided, I wasn't really me at the moment, so I wouldn't go by it. "Songbird" I corrected.

"Chérie, we need you to stop" his voice wast strained anymore, but I refused to turn around.

Ladybug took a softer approach, "what are you mourning?"

Without missing a beat, which might have been disturbing, I replied, "my life"

"What?"

I finally turned around in anger and pain, "I hurt! My life has been a living misery and I can't change that!" My eyes filled with tears, "there is only so much you can do..." I didn't know if they were under the influence of my voice magically or just their own emotions, but I watched as tears rolled down their cheeks.

Chat took a step toward me slowly. "Chérie, please..."

I ignored the voice talking to me, telling me to take my friend's miraculous, despite the slight pain behind my eyes. Instead I took one more plead, "please, let me do this..."

They took a step back and I sat back down, not facing them.

I continued my song, this time blending everything together in a grand finale. I expressed the last of all the suffering I have faced. The dam had broke and emptied.

When I was done I stood and walked over to my friends. I pulled out the neatly folded paper and opened it up to look at one last time. I read it a couple times in front of the superheros, them able to read it as well.

"What's that?"

"My sister's last words"

I handed it to them and they looked at it for a good minute or two. I pushed the rising migraine at disobeying Hawkmoth away.

Chat finally looked at me standing there. He seemed conflicted.

"What is it Noir?" That statement seemed to help him decide as his expression became sure.

He handed the slip of paper to me; he didn't say a word, but I knew what he was implying.

I took the sheet back and walked slowly to the corner where I was previously perched. I was so tired and drained already. The migraine faded a bit with the slip back in my hands. I stared at it some more, the background the empty street below me as I stood right on top of the edge.

I could sense the pair behind me a couple steps back as to not cross boundaries. I blocked out Hawkmoth who was pretty much screaming at me to do something. I finally looked out into the city and spread the wings on my back. I heard nervous shuffling behind me, and the breeze in front. I took a deep breath before looking at the soft paper in my hand once more.

I held it gently before I lifted it up and tore it into two. Then four, then eight. The butterfly flew out of the pieces, I knew Ladybug would purify it. I held the fragments in a neat pile in between my fingers once more. I let them flutter away into the night air as my feathers, both weapons and for flight alike, were shed.

I now realized that sometimes, feathers are heavier than bricks.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Guys thank you so much for reading this! I can't believe we are already past 14k reads!

I love you guys so much thank you!

Have a great day

Love,
FablesRose