Chapter 32

Better | Khalid

"Maybe I shouldn't touch you anymore since in your religion it's not right for a man to touch you."I stare at him and nod my head.

He's...He's been weird. I don't know what is wrong with him because whatever I said a few days ago. He said helped him live at his moments. Whatever that means to him.

"How do you know? I told you once but you weren't listening?"I asked him and he chuckled.

"I was studying a few things about your religion. It was quite amazing actually. It seems more peaceful."I stare at him confused.

He did what? He's just staring at me with his hands in his pockets. He's not doing anything. I don't see any marks since I know he fights a lot. And he's been leaving his friends to stay with me.

He's getting weirder and weirder every day. But for the better for him somehow. He seems more happy and excited when he sees me.

"You...you studied my religion?"I asked him and he nods.

"Why not? There are going to be a lot of different people and different religions. I should get to know my peers and because we are all human beings and that's what makes us the same."I stare at him shocked.

Did he just repeat what I have said to him yesterday? When he was asking why I hang out with other religious people?

"And also it might come in handy one day. But anyways, you still have that cast on your arm. Why didn't you take it off?"I sighed and scrunched my nose.

"They told me to leave it on for a few days, just like the headband that makes me look like my head is a plate,"I said and he smiled holding my handle from my backpack.

I'm forgetting something. I swear since I've hit my head hard I feel like I've lost brain cells. And I'm always forgetting everything.

My brother called me stupid yesterday for it but my parents are worried something is wrong because they know I'm not forgetful.

Wait the library! I told her I'll come back today. She knows that I was in the hospital and in bed rest. Even though you'd see me pray, eat downstairs or dance to Hindi songs in my ears. Or even do homework.

"Oh, I do need to go to the library! I need to help."I said and walked as he followed me.

She honestly might need help and being gone for a week, there might be a lot of books to put away. I'm thankful that I didn't have to worry about homework piled up is because Jin would bring me most of my work.

He actually went to my classes and got them for me. The teachers emailed me about it because how confused they were. But I explained that he was my neighbor.

We got in and I felt a small pull from my backpack and looked to see Jin's friends walking away.

Why are they glaring at me? I didn't karate kick them, did I? I'm kidding but is it because Jin has left them?

I looked at him and he gave me a fake smile. I don't know what to do but just smile back. I don't know. And I really want to help.

I turned my head and walked to the Librarian office. Mrs.Hatttington smiled at us as I grinned. I get to find what book to read next.

"Welcome back, how are you doing?"She asked me and I smiled.

"I'm doing great. Thank you. How are you doing?"I asked and she chuckled.

"Getting there, did you come here to help?"I nod and she frowned.

"But dear, you can't. You're injured."

Suddenly I'm now used to hearing, "your hurt stay home" or "go rest, I'll take care of everything." Sometimes they say, "sleep or I'll kill you!" That was my mother.

"I'll help her. It's okay."I turned to look at Jin smiling at her.

"Alright then, start working till the bell rings."She said and we both went to take the cart.

"Jin, how come you're not hanging out with your friends?"I asked him and looked at his face.

"Is it because of me? If you would like--."

"No, I think they are just a bad influence on me."I saw how uncomfortable he was and turned his head.

"You forgave them but didn't want to stay friends. Did they do something wrong?"I asked him and he stared at me.

"Well, they didn't ask you just for a kiss or girlfriend. So...and I think it was best to stay away from them. They had the wrong intentions that I should've known before."I look at him confused.

"So...what was the thing they wanted us to do?"I asked him and he stared at me.

"To...um?"I put the book up on the shelf and grabbed another book.

"Something that people do together, when they are married and stuff?"I stare at him like 'what's he talking about'.

Like people eating? Going to restaurants? What's he talking about?

"I don't understand but people together go out and eat? Like maybe sushi, kabobs, or Chinese? Like food?"He shook his head and laughed.

"What?"I pout as he shook his head taking a breath.

I'm still confused. Why is he laughed at me? Did I say something wrong?

"It's just, your too innocent. It's cute!"I felt something warm come through my cheeks.

"That's rude!"

I turned and put the book away feeling warm and electricity run through my body. I heard a voice that made me gulp.

It was a voice I knew before. A voice that got my brother to an idea of taking drugs.

"Oh, that's Samuel and Nick, I'm going to go say hi, if that's cool?"I bit my lip and nod without looking at him.

I didn't think they would come here. They never did. So why now?

And does Jin know them? They seem rude and mean. They are bad influences. I mean they did touch me without my consent and allowed my brother to take drugs at an underage.

I started putting the books on the shelf and finished to go put the cart back to its office.

I looked to hear laughing and see Mary, Melissa, Olivia, and Unique laughing. I gulped and turned my head.

What is everyone doing at the library? I know they all hate reading and being here because they don't want to look smart.

What's really going on here?