Being Right

Ely wished it was Christmas because happiness was demanded. It was just August and hot. He knew Darwin would punch him before dinner was over or maybe just after dinner ended. Either way, he was getting a fist to the face. He inhaled and knocked.

Hillary opened the door and pulled Ely into her arms. "Boy, you got tall and wow! Where did the muscles come from!" She touched his chest. "Oh, boy!"

Ely laughed. "Easy. You're married!" This was their normal conversation. She did the same thing three months ago when he visited.

Hillary laughed. "Ely, it's good to have you home. How are you?"

"I'm good. Got to arrest two people today. One for reckless driving and one for a probation violation. It was a good day! How are you?" Ely still hadn't stepped into the house.

"We talked yesterday and nothing has changed, Ely." Hillary smiled. "He isn't here." She knew he was trying to stall.

Ely took a breath. "Oh, good!" He walked in with Hillary to the living room where his dad was.

"Dennis, your prodigal son has returned!" Hillary walked into the kitchen. She was making a nice dinner.

"He was here a couple of months ago!" Dennis sighed. "Ely."

"Dad." Ely smiled and sat on the couch. "How's the game?"

"Losing. How are you? Hillary is crazy excited that you are back and visiting." Dennis smiled.

Ely thought he looked more like his mom but the older he gets, the more he looks like Dennis. Ely was short like him and built. Dennis had good muscle tone for someone that didn't work out. Ely's hair was darker but they had the same blue eyes.

"I was getting settled." Ely sighed.

"Avoiding is not a healthy action." Dennis smiled.

"You are talking to Hillary too much! I wasn't avoiding. I spent the month getting settled. Between work and a new place, I was busy." Ely sighed. "Shut up!"

Dennis laughed. "I'm done. I'm happy you're here, Ely. Very happy." He stood up, pulled his son up and hugged him. "How's the new place?"

Ely let go. "It's nice. Perfect for me. I just got off my shift and came here."

"You look great in that uniform. I know someone that will think so!" Dennis smiled. He knew that Ely had a crush on Darwin for years. Since they were in first grade.

Two teens skipped down the stairs. Raiden and Alexis. They were thirteen months apart but they looked like twins. Raiden was taller than his sister. "Ely!" Raiden smiled. "You're here!"

"Hey, Raiden." He hugged his little brother. "How's summer break?"

"Terrible. We have fourteen more days until school!" Raiden smiled. He loved school.

"Nerd." Ely smiled.

Alexis gasped as she hugged Ely. She glared at Raiden. "Stop counting down! Mom! Tell Raiden to stop counting down the days to school!" She marched to the kitchen.

Raiden rolled his eyes. "She hates it when I do that!" He laughed.

Ely laughed. "You are terrible."

"I know. It's fun though. She gets so mad." Raiden heard Alexis asking to go to the pool.

"Mom, Ashley's mom will be there!" Alexis begged.

"Take your phone." Hillary paused. "You can go to what's his name's house."

"Brighten. Mom, his name is Brighten." Raiden sighed. "His mom knows my weird name!"