Waiting

Ely tapped his foot waiting for Hillary to answer. Voicemail. "Voicemail again!"

"Let's get a cab. Maybe they forgot? I'm worried. Get a cab!" Darwin was in a panic.

Ely walked out and laughed. "Holy shit! Eragon Russo!" He hugged his old partner. "Hey!"

Eragon hugged Ely and Darwin. "Man, I have missed you both! Hillary had a situation with decorations? I don't know! I came to pick you up. Get in the back!" He smiled. He opened the trunk of the cruiser and put the luggage in. He got in the driver seat. "Ely and Darwin, this is Officer Stu Drake. Stu, this is Ely Stephens."

"Ely, it's a pleasure. I have heard good things." Stu smiled. "Darwin, you own the coffee shop?"

"I do. I opened another in our town in Montana." Darwin smiled.

"So, what is new here?" Ely smiled. "It's nice to be home for a minute."

"It's great to have you here. Nothing is new. We catch bad guys and drink coffee from Darwin's. Same day, different partner. I'm still loving your apartment, Ely. That is a girl magnet!"

"Wait? I thought you were seeing Dr. Fatima?" Darwin stared.

Eragon laughed. "I am. I just wanted to see if you knew what was going on. Hillary swears that you guys don't pay attention!"

"We pay attention!" Darwin and Ely said this at the same time.

Eragon and Stu laughed. "So, we are celebrating your marriage this weekend and I can't wait! I saw the cake!"

Darwin sighed. "I told her not to go crazy!"

Ely laughed. "Right. Have you met Hillary?"

Darwin leaned into Ely and sighed. "I am making out with my husband in the backseat of this cop car!" He kissed his man.

Ely stared at Darwin. They were standing in front of friends and family, in tuxedos saying their vows that they wrote. Ely had things to say to Darwin.

"Darwin. I have known you all of my life and loved you for most of it. You were my first everything and the only one that understands me. You know me, the fucked up me and you still love me. I could never begin to understand it but I am so happy that you love me anyway. I will do my best to be what you need. I want to thank you for saving twice. Once then and once now." Ely smiled and slide on Darwin's ring.

Darwin inhaled. "Wow! I never even dreamed that we would be here! I know we have been married for a year and it's been the best year of my life but I wanted to say some things too. I always promised I would never forgive you. I was wrong and I glad that I was wrong. I have never understood anyone like I do you. I don't know if it's fate or destiny or accidental but I am grateful for being your best friend. I know what my life would be like without you and I hated it. I love this version much better. I just love you and it's that simple, Ely."

Ely wiped a tear. He just nodded. Darwin slid on his ring and they kissed. They were officially married in the state of Colorado, again. They ate cake and danced and laughed. They hugged their family and friends and co-workers. Charlene showed up with her family and Denise was there, as promised.

Darwin pulled Ely to the dance flow and danced their slow song together. Ely leaned into Darwin. "I don't know what to say?"

Darwin just laughed. "Kowabunga?"

"Man, you are weird!" Ely laughed. "It's good to be here."

"I like Montana better." Darwin smiled. "I didn't want to move but I love us there!"

"Me too. I love us anywhere, Darwin. I am saying this now and you can always remind me. I never want to take advantage of us. I never want to take us for granted. Never." Ely watched Darwin.

"I promise to nag you and remind you all the time that you said that." Darwin chuckled. "I never want to take us for granted either. I never want to forget what it was like without you."

Ely nodded. "Me either. I want to grow old with you."

Darwin nodded. "And knock me up?"

"No! I don't want kids that we can screw up! I wouldn't be the best person." Ely sighed.

After their dance, Hillary found them. "Boys, this is my sister, Bethany. She is your aunt."

Bethany looked just like Hillary but chuckier. She was holding a small baby. "Darwin, we met years ago. Sorry that it's been so long."

Darwin nodded and hugged her. "I remember. Aunt Bethany, this is my husband, Ely."

Ely stood and Bethany hugged him. "Oh my! She touched his chest. "Whoa!"

Hillary laughed. "Hot, huh?"

"So hot!" Bethany smiled. "Sorry!"

Ely waved it off. "Hillary does it all the time." He smiled. "It's fine but I belong to Darwin."

Bethany smiled. "I see that. Hillary told me everything." She looked around. "Can you hold this for a moment?" She shoved the baby at Ely and walked off.

Ely was shocked but cradled the baby in his arm. He rocked it. "Okay?"

Hillary sighed. "Oh, you look wonderful holding a baby, Ely!" She wiped a tear.

Ely shook his head.

Darwin pulled Ely close. "Sexy! Damn it!"

Ely chuckled as the baby began to stir and whine. He was working up to a cry. Ely was beginning to panic but Bethany showed up with a bottle and took the baby. Ely was relieved but his arm felt empty. "You want one of those?" He knew that Darwin wanted a child.

"Yes." Darwin sighed. "It can wait. I know you're not ready, Ely."

"Who said I wasn't ready?"

"That look of fear in your eye when Aunt Bethany handed you that baby!" Darwin teased.

Ely nodded. "I was terrified but it was nice at the same time. I liked holding him.... Maybe we can discuss our options?"

Darwin melted into Ely and kissed him. "Sounds so great."

Ely moaned. "Adoption or surrogate?"

"Either. Tons of babies need adopted. We could save someone else in the process..." Darwin smiled.

Ely smiled. "We could. Like you saved me. Okay..." He paused. "Just send in the papers that you already filled out. They are filled out huh?"

Darwin smiled. "Yes. I need a couple of signatures from you and...."

Ely laughed. "We are adopting a baby!"

Darwin smiled. "You will be a dad."

Ely closed his eyes. "I hadn't thought of that. I'll be... it will call me dad! Dad? Daddy? Pappa? Dad!"

Darwin laughed. "You crazy. I love you, Ely Stephens. I can't wait to make you a father!"

Ely smiled. "I can't wait to make you a father. You are a great husband. I will love just you for my entire life, Darwin. Who knew we would end up here?"

"No! Not the ending, Ely. This is the very complex beginning. Shut up and dance with me." Darwin pulled Ely to the floor and wrapped around him. He smiled at their future.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy. Please leave comment and vote.