Complex Decisions

Darwin took Ely's hand and they walked into the restaurant. Bruce called and they were meeting for dinner. Ely was freaking out. They found Bruce waiting at a table in the corning. It was quiet so they could talk.

Bruce stood and smiled. "Ely Stephens?"

"Hello. Bruce?" Ely shook his hand. "This is my husband, Darwin."

"Darwin, good to meet you. Please sit." He pointed to some chairs. "So, questions?"

Darwin sighed. "Uh, what is the position or job offer? Is this a job offer?"

"It's more of an interview." Bruce smiled. "Denise said I should meet with both of you."

Ely nodded. He told Bruce their story. He included Darwin in everything. He was very important to Ely. Essential.

Bruce nodded. "Okay. So, you have a history at The Edit. I see why Denise thought you would be perfect. You are exactly what we are looking for. I need a special person that understands these children. Someone that has been there and lost. Someone that has seen the possibilities of suicide. We can't save all of them but maybe we can help a few. If it helps just one, it would be enough."

Ely sighed. "I'm not licensed or qualified for this position. Wouldn't a therapist be more useful?"

Bruce smiled. "No. Kids don't respond to therapy as well as someone that already knows them."

Darwin listened and let Ely talk. He was letting Ely make this decision. He was trying to figure out how to sell his shop. He loved that store. He loved his job. He loved being back home with Ely. What was he supposed to do? This was Ely? He had a huge opportunity to change the course of someone's life. If he had this, they wouldn't have lost fourteen years!

"I am sending you a week pass. Come and check out the place. We will put you up for the week. Just visit and see what you think." Bruce watched them. They were a team. "I thank you for at least listening to me. I hope to see you again. I will be in touch." He stood up, paid the bill and walked out.

Ely got a call from Bruce a couple months later. He sent tickets for Ely and Darwin. They were already in Ely's email inbox. Ely and Darwin took the tour but it was mostly for Darwin. Ely had lived here.

"I can't believe I am back here!" Ely took out the large windows in the lobby. He sighed.

"This is where you were." Darwin looked around.

Ely smiled. "Hey, you see that wing, the third floor, four windows from the end, my room."

Darwin looked out the window. "Oh."

Ely sat in a chair. "I'm not taking the job, Darwin."

Darwin nodded. "I'm leaving it up to you. We can figure things out."

Ely was shaking his head.

A young boy walked in and sat. His hat was low and his arms were crossed. This kid was shutting everything out. He knew that pose. He couldn't be twelve or thirteen. Ely stood and walked over.

"It sucks here." Ely sat.

Kid looked up. "What do you want?" He sounded grumpy.

Ely smiled. "Nothing. I'm waiting like you."

"Why? Someone like you can go home to your normal family and normal life. I wouldn't come here if I didn't have to!" The kid was hateful.

Ely nodded. "I used to think that. I wondered what kind of jackass would work here!"