Counseling

Denise stared at the family. Ely thought he would just bring everyone to therapy. He introduced them. "How was vacation?" Darwin stared.

Denise nodded. "Good. Took a cruise. Uh, hello, everyone. This is everyone?" Ely's partner was there too. Eragon.

"Yes. So, Darwin and I eloped. I know we said we would wait until next year but... we took off and got married last Wednesday at the courthouse. These people were there." Ely watched Denise.

Denise stared.

Darwin looked worried. "Look, I know the healthy thing would be to wait until next year but... we are fucked up and just went and got married. We still want to have a party but..."

Ely sighed. "I needed to belong to Darwin." He shrugged.

Denise slowly smiled. "You spontaneously went and got married?"

Darwin nodded. "It was Ely's idea!"

"You made a spontaneous life changing decision!" Denise smiled. "You are married!" She stood and hugged them both. "I am so proud of you."

"Who's last name?" Denise was curious.

"That was difficult." Darwin admitted. "We went through our names and asked for advice. I changed my to Stephens." Darwin smiled.

"Ely and Darwin Stephens?" Denise liked the sound of it.

Ely nodded. "I left it up to Darwin."

Denise smiled. "Keep talking."

Ely smiled. "I let him decide. Darwin Stephens or Ely Hodges."

"They both sound good." Denise watched them.

"We know." Darwin nodded. "I changed mine because Ely is a cop and would have to get a new badge. It was more of a struggle. Mine was easy. He is filling out his change of address form though. We are living at my house. Our house."

"So, you are sharing your life?" Denise smiled.

Ely smiled. "It's not near as tough but I think it's because I get to share with Darwin. I couldn't do it with anyone else. I just hope that he doesn't get sick of me!"

Darwin smiled. "Never."

Ely smiled. "Probably soon!" Darwin nodded.

"So, you have been married a week?" Denise just realized that.

"Yes!" Ely smiled. "My longest and healthiest relationship!"

Darwin nodded. "Mine too."

"So, you gave up your apartment, Ely?" Denise watched them.

"Uh, no. I have a lease, so I am holding onto it. I am subletting it to Eragon. It's perfect for him and he can move away from his mom!" Ely smiled. "So, it's no longer mine."

"We put a small shed thing out back. It's Ely's for whatever. It's his space. It's a pretty nice size shed." Darwin smiled. "We are making adjustments."

"Do we dare ask what the shed is for?" Dennis stared.

Ely sighed. "I'm a control freak to a spectacular degree. That shed is a place that I can control. I need one thing and that is it. It was my apartment and the gym, now it's the shed and the gym." He smiled at Darwin. "You are the only one that gets me!"

"I know." Darwin smiled. He watched Ely smile. Darwin was happy to stare at his husband.

Denise watched them. "Ely, I have a possible job for you. It's an offer. Think on it. I met some people on the cruise. They were reps for The Edit. It was ironic because I had you as a patient. I didn't give any information but I gave them a vague story about you, they were interested in having you council children...trouble kids, like you."

"And?" Ely watched Denise.

"Well, it would be at The Edit." She figured he wouldn't take it.

Hillary stared. "So, he would be able to help kids like him?"

"But he would have to relocate." Dennis was stating the obvious.

"We would have to move!" Darwin stared.

"No." Ely shook his head. "Our life is here. Our family is here. I have a job and Darwin has his shop. We just put down roots!"

Darwin touched Ely's hand. "Hey, but you could help kids...like you. Save some? You could save a lot of people. Save them from what we went through. We waited in the waiting room for six hours, Ely. We had to leave without you. If you could stop that from happening to one other family, it would be worth it."

"You could stop the pain and years of waste and sorrow. Years of hate. Mistakes. Most don't have happy endings, Ely. You know that." Darwin sighed. "We have to talk this out."

"Our first huge decision!" Ely sighed.

"That is a lot to think about." Darwin sighed.

"Well, you have time. Here is their card. Call and get more information." Denise hand them a little blue card. "Think it through."

Ely inhaled. "This is a big decision."

Dennis smiled. "Is it?"

Ely wiped a tear. "But I just got here!"

Dennis smiled. "We will see each other, Ely. We know how we feel about each other. We love each other. That's all that matters in the end."

"We will think about it." Ely stood and walked out. He couldn't be there right then.

"Okay." Darwin stood and rushed out. He rode down the elevator with Ely and got in the car and drove home.

Ely cooked dinner and flipped the card around. He picked up the phone. "If this goes to voicemail, I throw this card away."

A man answered. "Bruce Browning, hello."

"Oh, hello. I don't know what to say. Denise Bual told me to call you?" Ely sighed. That was intelligent. "I'm Ely." He put the phone on speaker.

"Ely Stephens. Hello. I heard some good things. I am a representative for The Edit and I understand that you have experience there? I never got details. Denise is professional. She just recommended you and said you would be perfect. We are starting a program for troubled kids. Teens mostly. Different troubles. Try to help them before it's too late. Catch the problems before...that kind of thing. Give them a safe place to talk and someone that understands them to talk to." Bruce pause.

"This is a huge decision." Ely sighed. "I just got married."

"You got married? Congratulations!" Bruce smiled. "Who is the lucky girl?"

"Darwin, he's a man and he owns a shop here." Ely glared.

"Right. Congratulations! So, he has a shop? Ely, can we meet?" Bruce hoped they could.

"Really?" Ely sighed. "Sure? I will require my husband to join us. We don't make decisions alone." He smiled. He was never alone with Darwin.

"How about this Friday?" Bruce smiled.

"See you then. Call me when you get in." Ely smiled.

"Can't wait, Ely. Darwin." Bruce was gone.

This took up a lot of Ely's time. He spent it thinking about this meeting. Darwin kept reminding him that he didn't have to make any decisions right now. They were just getting information. Ely knew that. Eragon knew Ely was interested in the position. He was staying quiet for now. He would miss his friend.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy. Please leave comment and vote.