What Have We Become

********

********

As we arrived, I saw my dad's car in the driveway, and I felt a jolt of fear run through me as I ran to open my front door, and again saw my father and Dennis furiously arguing with my mom nowhere to be seen.

Without thinking, I shoved myself in between them begging for them to stop. I needed to end this fight before it became violent.

With my body acting as a barrier in between them I exclaimed, "STOP," realizing my previous pleas weren't enough. They both looked at me, but my olive eyes were fixated on my dad.

"Leave this family alone." I declared to him strongly but without raising my voice to which he replied, "I just want to talk to your mother."

Denny gritted his teeth and retorted with, "So you can hit her again. Trust me, she doesn't want to see you," and pushed our father with me still amid them. I urged him to discontinue this argument and leave, threatening him by saying if he didn't, I would call the police if that became necessary.

He replied by saying, "I'm your dad, I mean you no harm." I wanted to believe him, but I couldn't be sure.

Looking into my dad's eyes I knew that I couldn't risk it, "Maybe one day I'll believe that, but now I can't." I looked in the doorway and my eyes linked with Jay's and I finished by saying, "Jay, please call the police."

We watched as Jay pulled out his phone to dial those three life-changing numbers when we heard my mom say, "Wait," as she dashed down the stairs.

"You want to talk, I'll talk. Kids go upstairs."

Denny refused and so did I. He shook his head, "There is no way we are leaving you alone together."

My mom crossed the floor over to us. With a kiss on our foreheads, she reminded us that she can take care of herself. Adhering to her wish I ran upstairs, tears spilling onto my face, as I hear Jay following me.

"Son please," was the last thing I heard before the sounds of my own cries filled my head completely. Of course, it took Denny more persuasion, but I know that eventually, he stomped up the stairs as well.

Jay held me as I cried, and I was so tired of crying today. I did not know what to do with myself or if I even could do anything. With time, my cries turned into a soft sniffle.

Bringing me out of my crappy thoughts, I hear Jay say, "Did you know that most American car horns honk in the key of F."

I giggled at his remark and answered, "Wow, thanks for the stupid car fact of the day. Let me guess, same time tomorrow," as a small smile on my lips.

"Hey, it's true," Jay, gushed with a laugh as he kissed the top of my head.

Jay made me smile as no one else could and I was so grateful for him. Through my laughs, I suddenly spat out, "I love you," not knowing or caring if I meant that as a friend or something else.