A Christmas Tree Farm

********

********

When I closed the door behind me, I saw my mother standing in front of me. "Is that the boy you were telling me about," my eyes widened.

I blocked the door with my body, "Yeah, that was him,"

"I thought you were out with your girls," she spoke causing me to wince.

Awkwardly I retaliated with, "Oh, oh yeah I was... totally. He showed up while we were there. In fact they wanted me to tell you hi back. Hi!"

"Anyway, you were right about him being a handsome young man. I wish he would have come inside," she pouted.

I chuckled awkwardly, "He seems to really like you," she gushed.

"Mom, don't tell me he's got you too," Denny deadpanned as he walked down the stairs. "Are you ready to go?" He spun the keychain around his forefinger.

Our mother crossed he arms, "She just got home Dennis. She may want to sit down for a minute."

I shook my head in defiance, "No, you have waited long enough for me to come home. We can leave now."

My mom grabbed her coat from the rack, "I thought about the most precious place for us to go."

Mom placed a scarf around my neck. "When you two were younger, all of us would go to the Daryl's Christmas tree farm and get a new tree every year."

Dennis said, "Daya, you're blocking the door."

I bonked the side of my head, "Duh, we should head out."

"When your fathers' relationship with his side of the family started to dwindle, the tradition stopped. We've had that boring fake tree for years and I'm ready for a change," mom divulged.

Waving my arms up at the lights I cooed, "I remember they sold hot chocolate out there. With the snow and the lights, it was lit up beautifully."

Dennis was driving, "Where did you go earlier?"

I braided and then unbraided my hair with anxiety in my heart. "We went to the park with my friends and Banks and his little brothers showed up. They loved the muffins."

Mom looked at me through the rear-view mirror. "I'm not surprised, they were scrumptious. Am I going to be able to meet them soon?"

I leaned against the window, "I want to take things slow with him. It would be great, but I think it's too soon to meet parents. Plus, I'm better with kids. They adored me, I think at least."

She raised the corners of her mouth upward, "Everyone you meet absolutely adores you."

Dennis said, "I remember when I first met her. It wasn't all that."

My lashes fluttered, "I inherited that trait from you, mom," she beamed.

"I think Dennis missed out on that trait," I poked at him. Denny reached his arm into the back seat and started hitting me. I laughed, "Stop it, Dennis, watch the road."