The Traits You Instilled

********

********

"Daddy," I whimpered as I put my arms around him after I hopped into the car.

Last time I saw him it didn't go so well and that image lingered in my mind. He hugged me back in that jolly way that I was so accustomed to. Before he let me go, he peered at me deep in my eyes and said, "I'm so happy that you want to see me, Sunshine."

He started down the road and I asked him, "Can we drive around for a bit before going home, like old times?" Then, it dawned on me that the reason we used to explore the town before going home was probably because he didn't want to go home and see his abuse in human form.

"Yes, is there something on your mind?" He said it so softly that it reminded me of when he used to pick me up from school before.

"I had an imperfect day, to say the least. It's been a pretty imperfect week really." I slumped down into the seat.

My dad nodded, "I know I have a part to play in that imperfection as well. I'm sorry, Sunshine."

I wiped my eyes out of tiredness and not because of my minuscule emotional capacity for once. "I want to accept your apology, dad. I do, but I have so many questions."

He smiled over at me, "I want to answer any and all questions you have. How about we go to my apartment and we can discuss everything?"

I hesitated at first, but I said, "Yeah, I'd like to."

I texted Denny and told him to tell mom that I was out with friends, so she wouldn't worry. Of course, he reminded me again that I could send that text to mom instead of using him as a messenger pigeon. Lying probably wasn't the best decision but there's no way they would've been okay with what I was about to do.

We drove past the suburban town that I grew up in and into the city that was practically unknown to me. I've lived in a bubble for most of my life, the same forgotten streets and the same forlorn people always surrounded me.

He lived in a long line of brick apartments that were very quaint and well-kept giving the circumstances. It was so disappointing to know at last that all this time he was only twenty minutes away.