Misplaced Faith

**Piper**

**Piper**

"Well, that's a mood killer," Jay asked when a fourth honk sounded. Then, Piper opened her car door and gestured for me to come over.

"Oh shit! It's Piper, I'll be right back," I ran over to her car with fear thumping on the ground as I stepped.

"What are you doing here, with him?" Piper asked as she looked over at Jay with fury in her eyes.

"I know it looks really bad, but I can explain," I blustered knowing that I actually couldn't.

She pulled my phone out of her car, "Banks told me to bring it to your house. You remember him, the guy you were all over last night." I reached out for my phone, and she pulled it back.

"What am I supposed to say? He kissed me!" My words were rash and desperate as I tried to rationalize the irrational.

"Banks has been nothing but sweet to you! He likes you so much and you're doing this to him! I fought for the two of you! Celia is still pissed at me because of it! He asked me to come over here and cover for you and this... this is what I found," she gazed at me with disgust.

"I know it was wrong. It just happened, Piper. He's been my best friend for eleven years and I was just talking to him about something really personal. Banks will understand that, he has to," I twiddled my fingers anxiously.

She pushed my phone into my chest, "Maybe he will, but I won't. I saw the two of you before he supposedly grabbed and kissed you. You looked mighty cozy in my opinion."

With a finger pointed towards Jay she exclaimed, "That guy did the same thing to you that you're doing to Banks and he doesn't need any of that right now!"

"You know that I like Banks, Pipes." I was wrong and I knew that.

"If you don't tell Banks about this soon I will and it'll be much worse than any sugar-coated crap you can think of to fix this." She was the literal definition of if looks could kill right then.

I deadpanned, "Thanks for bringing this to me." I tried to change the course of the conversation.

She got back into her car, "Tell Banks that," and slammed the door in my face.

When Piper drove off, Jay ran up behind me. "What was that about?" I put my phone in my front pocket.

"I need to go home," I started to walk away when he grabbed my hand.

"Why? I thought we could talk some more." I faced him and said, "What the hell were you thinking? Just stay away from me."

"What did that girl say?" He asked as I was internally beating myself up. Definitely not what he should have asked. If anything, he should have stayed quiet and respected my wishes.

I twisted my hair around my fingers as I tried to keep myself from going crazy over the whole situation, "she's guilt-tripping me."

"What do you have to feel guilty about?" That made me stop in my tracks.